Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2008, 08:37 PM

Mick check the canon web site and upgrade the software.New one to me.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Although this forum has a strong Canon/Nikon following to Pentax doesn't really get much of a mention around here.
There's probably a reason for the lack of pentakonanonolamax talk on this forum...
Old 28th May 2008, 11:36 PM

Ray the Canon Tech Support rep told me to send it straight back to Canon.

It seems to be a batch of them that are having this problem after some reading on the net and talking to a few friends.

Mick
Old 29th May 2008, 12:07 PM

Maybe they are the leaders, for the simple fact everyone buys Canon/Nikon because someone else told them they were the best. Unfortunately I would rather make up my own mind than be one of the flock who mindlessly take anothers word for something and buy it based on referral.

Compare the 450D to the K20D and you will find the K20D feels much more rugged and solid and is extremely well featured. Admittedly Pentax are a long way short of Canon in the lens department however Pentax are starting to release some great lenses.

Canon does also admittedly make fantastic high end digital SLR cameras however in the low-medium price range of Sub $2,000 models I don't think they necessarily have it in the bag on quality.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:18 PM

Nick I have used various Canon DSLR's (EOS D30, 1D, 1D Mk II, 300D, 350D, 5D and now the 40D). Only ever owned the 300D and the 40D, however have used the others in various applications, from professional photography, to simply playing around experimenting and testing some of the other camera's owned by friends of mine, and my own use with the 300D and 40D.

How you could say they don't have the whole range covered with quality products is beyond me. And how you could say that I'm simply following the crowd by buying a Canon, after pretty extensive experience with Canon products prior to even buying my first DSLR, is also beyond me.

When Pentolta can come out with high quality camera's and lenses similar to the Nikon and Canon range, then we'll listen. But until then, you've bought an overpriced second rate product, .

Mick
Old 29th May 2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Admittedly Pentax are a long way short of Canon in the lens department
Bingo.

It's all about the glass.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:55 PM
Prolific Member

Agreed.

Canons 'consumer' lenses are probably in line with the Penthanimaxolta's so-called 'professional' range, whereas the 'L' series from Canon are in a class of their own.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Canon does also admittedly make fantastic high end digital SLR cameras however in the low-medium price range of Sub $2,000 models I don't think they necessarily have it in the bag on quality.
Hmmm interesting you come to this conclusion Nick... The Canon 450D comes in well under the $2000 bracket complete with lens kit and you can even pick up the 40D under the $2000 bracket. Granted the 40D did not start at this price it is however relatively comparable considering the time you bought the pentakonanonolamaxipad K20D...

And having looked at the lense range of the said maxipad it just isn't there...
Old 30th May 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
whereas the 'L' series from Canon are in a class of their own.
looking at buying a big *** one of these at the end of the year
Old 30th May 2008, 11:01 AM

In my opinion the 450D is inferior in build quality to the K20D.

And as for the Canon L series lenses, yes they are good, but the Pentax DA* series are also fantastic as well and comparible in quality to the L series.

Perhaps in the past Canon/Nikon had the market almost all to themselves but these days the list of competitors ready to bring out quality models is growing.

The K20D body would trump the 450D in my opinion but as I said, just need Pentax to hurry up with their lens releases.
Closed Thread