Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st March 2008, 08:08 PM

Default Jetstar seating

Hi guys (good to see the forums up again)

Flying with Jetstar later on next month (Late April) from MEL (tulla) -> PER. (A320).

We did the seat selector, and what do you know the wing exit rows are free, so we selected them.

Now, we couldnt find this anywhere on Jetstars site, so i ask;

Are their any restrictions on who sits in the exit rows? (Specifically age i guess).

Thanks

Rhys
Old 31st March 2008, 08:30 PM

You need to be able bodied & able to assist in an emergency. You need to be able to understand & follow crew member instructions.

Age wise 15+ - as well as having no disability, not be carrying an infant & not have a requirement for an extension seat belt.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:10 PM

Hey Rhys,

Interesting ... I'm cabin crew for Jetstar; are you positive that it was the exit rows (12 or 13) that you were able to select online? Because it is my understanding that those seats are always blocked out as "occupied" on the seat selector because it is the responsibility of check-in staff to allocate those seats upon assessing the passenger's suitability to sit in those rows.

CASA regulations say you can not-
- have permanent or temporary disability
- be under the age of 15
- be an adult nursing an infant
- be someone who does not understand English
- be hard of hearing
- be a deportee or prisoner in custody
- require an extension seatbelt

And Jetstar's company policy is that you may not sit there if more than 6 months pregnant.

My friend travelling on the same flight as me the other week wanted to sit at the overwing exit so not only would he have the extra legroom but also because I would have to give him the overwing exit briefing, and he made sure to check-in as soon as the flight opened (2 hrs prior) because it's normally first-in, first-served with the exit rows.

I just had a look at MEL-PER flights as far away as August and brought up the seat selector and rows 12/13 are still blocked out.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:17 PM

Well, thats interesting.

Row 13 was available, and rows 12 & 13 had green exit signs next to them, so i can only assume they are exit row seats?

Jetflex fares were booked if it makes a difference?
Old 31st March 2008, 09:33 PM

Ahh Turns out it does make a difference. Tried the seat selector under a JetFlex fare and you're right, rows 12 & 13 become available.

Will remember to advise that to others who desperately want to secure an exit row seat!

Well that's a good score for you on a longer flight like MEL-PER! What some people don't realise though, especially if you're intending to try and sleep, is that even though you get extra legroom the trade-off is that those seats do not recline because there has to be clear access to the exits at all times.

I just feel sorry for the poor souls in row 11 who don't have the extra legroom and can't recline their seat either.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:37 PM

Lets just see if we get to sit there firtst...