Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th April 2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
potential environmental consequences
Couldn't have the office stinking any more than it does already, could we Nigel???

Nick the opening of the third runway some 14 years ago pushed more noise over more areas of the eastern bit of the inner west that wasn't affected beforehand... some people may well have bought their properties before then!
Old 4th April 2008, 07:47 PM

Nick,

Agree with you 100%. I bet they all thought it was great when they purchased their homes at bargain prices years ago. Now they whine about the noise. Don`t know exactly how long airport has been there but I`m sure it has been there long before all of the current residents.
Old 4th April 2008, 07:51 PM

Question

Steve S2,

Airports no longer "close" due to strong winds, thunderstorms or other extreme phenomena. That type of operational control ceased over 10 years ago. The onus is now on the flight crews as to whether they elect to use the airport or not in such conditions.

I live under the flight path of 16R, and have done so for most of my life. Our local rag (anti-aircraft) was quoted as saying that they had 6 aircraft fly over in less than 2 minutes. Now excuse me for being picky, but my understanding is that the total movements at SY is capped at 80 per hour.

That makes it 180 landings per hour just on 16R. Without departures. Typically it's 1 for 1.

This is the sort of lies we are up against.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:03 PM

Nick - Agree. We moved from Qld 2yrs ago and sadly, a factor in us settling in Annandale was vision of the flight path.

My son is 13, has Cerebral Palsy and we love nothing more than sitting in our tiny back yard, watching the Sydney airport website on the wireless network, listening to the tower on the scanner, taking pics and putting them on our webpage. It beats negotiating a shopping centre on a Saturday morning with a wheel chair and having old people stare.

We're not all crack pots in the inner west, bring on the extra traffic on 16R.

Only thing is, it's gettin rather cool now for our Qld blood to rush out to watch the A380 each morning.

(tried to upload an image, but seem to have had an issue, wahever size I made it, was what I'd exceeded my quota by??)
Old 5th April 2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S... 2 View Post
I think passenger safety is more important than noise on the North Shore and Inner West (which were under the flight path long before the residents bought their properties).

What concerns me is the danger of aircraft landing on runway 16/34 in gale force westerlies and there will be some very serious problems in the coming months. You will probably find the airport will have to close as the winds are shocking at that time of year, and it will happen the wind can last for days even a week at a time.

Glad I am not booked on any flights during June to September.
There are plenty of single runway airports in the world, or places like LHR where there are two (or more) parallel runways. Why is it so dangerous in Sydney that it will effect passenger safety?
Old 5th April 2008, 08:21 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Hey Nigel

If the western end of the runway is where the work will be conducted, do you know if RWY07 would be available for departures from a slightly displaced point adjacent to GOLF2 or thereabouts?

Cheers

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I don't believe there will be displaced departures. There would probably be a jetblast issue for the works behind it.

Cheers
Nigel
Old 5th April 2008, 08:24 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse View Post
....they had 6 aircraft fly over in less than 2 minutes.

Separation standards? What separation standards!
Old 5th April 2008, 09:21 AM

Default Noise

Although, I don't live in Sydney, I get the impression all the stink about the noise is not to do with safety (except in stormy conditions), but more like people worried it will devalue house prices.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 5th April 2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
devalue house prices.
House prices in Sydney going DOWN????

I'd like to see that!!!!
Old 5th April 2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Hi Andrew,

I don't believe there will be displaced departures. There would probably be a jetblast issue for the works behind it.

Cheers
Nigel
Thanks Nigel - suspected as much.

Perhaps the Dashs, Saabs and Air Ambos could do it, especially as they're somewhat limited in their cross wind allowances compared to the larger jets.

Anyway, I appreciate it's somewhat above your pay scale.

Cheers