Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 7th April 2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Well the Air France / KLM takeover of Alitalia has failed so I suppose that might see them go next!

It's a real shame too, Alitalia was an icon back in the 70s and 80s.

The trade unions have forced the knockback of the AF/KLM offer which was really the best chance Alitalia had.
Old 7th April 2008, 05:31 PM

So Trade Unions forced the knockback of the AF/KLM deal, so rather than all those Alitalia staff keeping their jobs it all goes ***** up coz of a Union.

Sorry but I have never been a fan of unions.
Old 7th April 2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
So Trade Unions forced the knockback of the AF/KLM deal, so rather than all those Alitalia staff keeping their jobs it all goes ***** up coz of a Union.

Sorry but I have never been a fan of unions.
Im the same more trouble than they are worth.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:42 AM

Martin,

"Im the same more trouble than they are worth."

What do you mean the union is more trouble than it is worth?

Nick,

How much do you know about "the unions"?
Old 8th April 2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
Martin,

"Im the same more trouble than they are worth."

What do you mean the union is more trouble than it is worth?
Yes thats what I meant Grant, Im not a union person and dont think I will ever be one. I feel loyalty and hard work should carry a person far in any industry and business.
Old 8th April 2008, 01:24 PM

I didn't ask you to repeat what you said Martin, I asked you what you meant by your comment...

Or are you going to fein ignorance and dodge the question again?
Old 8th April 2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Smith View Post
I didn't ask you to repeat what you said Martin, I asked you what you meant by your comment...

Or are you going to fein ignorance and dodge the question again?
Sorry, ok I feel from past experience when companies work with unions and vice versa what the company wants the union generally accepts as with an EBA the union will say we want a 12% pay increase over 3 years the company will say we are only willing to give you 9%, union saysok no worries end of story.

Ive also seen where the union has been that weak that they wouldnt even seek a EBA from the company and just excepted award wages for its members, I used to question the union rep and say well Ive given the union $7 in union dues all year but what have you done for the members and what are we going to see in the future? It was a weak response of well nothing much and I have never been a union member ever again and wont ever be either as they are more than happy to take the dues from you and offer nothing in return, I guess another prime example would be the QF pay/EBA discussions recently the union came out all gun ho saying well rolling stoppages etc and as soon as it come time to do it the union had already gone as soft as butter, and in the end I dont think they did anything.
Old 8th April 2008, 06:58 PM

Grant, as an owner driver for many years with TNT and basically being "forced" to join a union just to be treated as a human being and the countless days I went unpaid due to petty disputes between the union and the company due to strike action which was battled out in the IRC I have had enough of unions to last me a lifetime.

I will admit I was raised by parents who were strongly Liberal Party advocates and who were strongly anti-union. My grandfather was also foreman on the docks for 40 years and some of the union crap they used to carry on with was rather astonishing.

I understand alot of people here are in employment within the airline industry which I believe is still heavily unionised?
Old 9th April 2008, 02:14 PM

We have the answer.

OASIS HONG KONG are apparently terminating all services 4PM Hong Kong time today.

Brad
Old 9th April 2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradR View Post
We have the answer.

OASIS HONG KONG are apparently terminating all services 4PM Hong Kong time today.

Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters

-- Local airline Oasis Hong Kong, launched in Oct. 2006, is said to be running out of business and will stop flying from today. The airline has reportedly accumulated losses of as much as HK$1 billion. Sources say more than HK$1 million in losses is incurred on each flight Oasis operates.
http://www.oasishongkong.com/hk/en/home.aspx shows nothing about it.

Dummy booking shows no availability.

They looked like such an awesome carrier!

I just read about them in March Aus. Aviation too...i was really looking forward to them coming into the Australian market.