Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 15th August 2014, 11:06 AM

Default First timer Spotting at YSSY - Locals Tips and help this week 15-22 Aug

Hi!

Thanks for accepting me!

I am visiting Sydney for a few days, and this is my first time here (technically second but the first one was just one day).
I will be here from today 15 (I am writing this from the Airport) until the 22nd, and I was wondering if somebody could give me some hints, or perhaps someone is going spotting and wouldn't mind me joining (it's always good to meet local spotters).

I am mostly interested on the famous beach spot, and perhaps will take a day pass at the Rydges if they're available, but other than that I don't have much planned really, so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Andrés
Old 15th August 2014, 02:29 PM

Welcome Andres,

I am by no means an expert, however the beach runway is a must.

http://www.16right.com is a fantastic website, created by Grahame Hutchinson, of whom is a member of this community. Take a look, it also helps give directions and other locations.

Todd
Old 15th August 2014, 03:41 PM
Prolific Member

Hey Andres,
Just along the blue tool bar at the top of screen is a search function which will help you with pretty much all the answers you need. If you type 'spotting locations' in there, it'll come up with all the previous spotting location threads, and it covers some of the 'no go' areas too.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th August 2014, 10:53 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I had done a little search before, I know these kind of threads become repetitive but as I was in such a rush at the moment I just jumped and posted, please accept my apology.

It was not only for the places though, but to see if any local was out and about... spotting is always better with local company! It seems I'll go alone though, which is also fine.

Now, I am really interested on going to the beach though, I have thought on giving it a try some day next week as weather today and tomorrow seems horrible... (next week too but there's a little hope).

In my research the only way of getting there seems to be getting to Banksia station and then walking for around 1 hour... I don't really mind walking but wanted to ask you before I get set on that route, is it the only public transport option available?

Thanks again!
Old 16th August 2014, 11:32 AM

Never tried it, but bus route 303 might get you closer to the control tower

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/maps...etwork&count=2