Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 25th April 2014, 03:33 PM

Default Focal Length

Hi all

I will be heading down to Sydney for a couple of days of spotting next month. I was hoping you guys and girls might be able to provide some guidance regarding camera equipment. My current gear (Canon 400D body with 18-55 IS and 55-250IS lenses) is quite obsolete and basic so I have decided to rent some equipment. My toughest decision is the focal lengths I will be working with. I plan to spot from the following locations:

1. Stamford Plaza (upper level room)
2. Rydges observation deck
3. The Beach
4. Shep's Mound
5. Qantas Drive

I was considering hiring a Canon 7D or 60D with either the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM or Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I want to keep costs down as much as possible so I am wondering if it necessary to spend the extra money hiring the 7D when the 60D would suffice. I am interested in the 7D primarily due what I have read about its AF system. I don't know if this is a big selling point for aviation photography though. As far as the lenses go I have read that the 70-300 is sharper and offers better IQ. My main concern with the 70-300 is that it may not get me as close to the action as I want to be, especially at the Rydges observation deck when I might want the aircraft to fill most of the frame.

So there you have it, my predicament, lol. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who is willing to offer some sage advice to a struggling amateur.

Thanks guys.
Old 25th April 2014, 04:05 PM

I currently own the 7d and it is the best thing I have ever bought. However, I have no doubt that the 60D would do absolutely fine for quality while your here spotting.

Qantas Drive: Only really needs a small focal length as you can walk along the footpath to get a close or as far away as you please.

Shep's Mound: A 100-400 length is a great lense for this location, the Rydges and the Beach. For the Mound and Beach to get full frame photos you need a bit less than 400mm so 100-400 will be more than fine.

How this provides a bit of basic knowledge for the spots.
Old 25th April 2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks for your insight Matthew
Old 25th April 2014, 05:20 PM

I use a 60D with the kit 55-250 and have no issues at the beach, mound or Rydges, you generally don't need a huge lens at all!

examples can be found on my flickr
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 25th April 2014, 07:29 PM

Love your photos Zac! You've really worked some magic with that lens.
Old 26th April 2014, 02:46 PM

Hi Anthony. I have used a 7D with the 70-300mm L lens for the past 2 years, shoot RAW and use Lightroom 4.4. Zac is correct that focal length wise, your 55-250 mm will be fine.
Advantages of the 7D include the ability to adjust the back focus of your lens, which is critical using longer tele lenses. Mine needed some tweaking, & I have advised other photographers to check their setup, as, to date, they all were improved from the original setting. The focusing system when tracking fast moving aircraft is very good. In my opinion, you are unlikely to 'get to know' the 7D well enough with a weekend hire, & it's menu system will have similarities, but also fundamental differences from your 400D.
The 70-300mm lens is brilliant, as are most if not all of the L lenses. It's IS system is more modern than the one employed by the 100-400mm lens - there are plenty of good reviews on line about these & other manufacturers lens' suitable for aviation photography. Let us know how you get on.
Old 26th April 2014, 06:02 PM

I ended up placing the booking for the 7D and 70-300. I have used a 60D a few times before without any issues so I'm confident that I will figure the 7D out. I will make sure I carry out the AF microadjustment process before I head down there. I have watched a few videos and the process doesn't look too challenging.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 06:55 PM

Hi Anthony. Out of curiosity, how did the gear perform on your Sydney visit ?