Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
Hi there

Todd I'll check tomorrow and will post on this thread, have about 4,000 slides dating from the early 1970's. Pan Am 707's have got to be in there somewhere.

Cheers
Anthony
Thanks Anthony
Old 30th December 2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You should consider trying to get those onto jetphotos/airliners.net
Not interested in these sites, i'll just release pictures on this thread for the time being.

Let the kids upload to JP/AN with pics of A/C that turn up every other day.

Am I getting too old for this stuff?

Anthony T
Old 30th December 2009, 04:51 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Great shots Anthony, in the first one there are the three little houses alongside the current international standoff bays, and no old tower in the background. This was the days of the tower being where the old fire station was (near the intersection of Charlie and Golf). Visited the tower a few times back then.

Great to see the Pan Am and AA livery on the 707.

A VC10 image or two would be great to see, I remember the Captain Bristow ads on TV, with the "Hush Power" tag line, very popular ads back then.

On one of my QF 707 flights Sydney - Auckland (First Class this time) I was in the cockpit when they were taking a position reading. They would attach a sextant type instrument to a mount in the cockpit ceiling and make the readings (the good old days of navigation).

I also remember visiting the QF 707 simulator which had a model landscape and a video camera that travelled over it in line with cockpit control inputs. Very primitive but useful at the time.
Old 30th December 2009, 05:10 PM

Yes Grahame, Capt Bristow.

On our 'migration flight' I posted earlier, my son (2 yo) was given a Junior Flight log which had a photo of Capt Bristow on the introduction page.
The first leg of our looong flight was recorded (up to HKG then the flight changed to BA811A)

I asked for mine (as an a/c spotter) and the young hostie 's******ed' - they're only for the kids!!!

Anthony; you may want to consider this site to upload your slides:

http://smugmug.com

It is your own site, no judging, rules etc. plus it is a backup for safekeeping in case you lose your files.

It costs $US40 (after a 14 day trial) and no limit on photos etc.

Mine are at:

http://paggsy.smugmug.com/

The good, the bad and the ugly.

I too had tried the others and too fussy. Then you find their records have cocpit views, nose at the gate, wingtip at sunset etc. Nice as they are I would rather see a picture of the actual plane.
Old 30th December 2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
Great shots Anthony, in the first one there are the three little houses alongside the current international standoff bays, and no old tower in the background. This was the days of the tower being where the old fire station was (near the intersection of Charlie and Golf). Visited the tower a few times back then.

Great to see the Pan Am and AA livery on the 707.

A VC10 image or two would be great to see, I remember the Captain Bristow ads on TV, with the "Hush Power" tag line, very popular ads back then.

On one of my QF 707 flights Sydney - Auckland (First Class this time) I was in the cockpit when they were taking a position reading. They would attach a sextant type instrument to a mount in the cockpit ceiling and make the readings (the good old days of navigation).

I also remember visiting the QF 707 simulator which had a model landscape and a video camera that travelled over it in line with cockpit control inputs. Very primitive but useful at the time.
Are the 'Captain Bristow' ads of any relation to the "Seargant Major" BOAC VC10 ad from 1970?

In addition to the VC10, I'd like to see some Pan American 707 photographs!
Old 30th December 2009, 05:51 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Jack, I don't recall the BOAC VC-10 "Seargant Major" ads on Australian televison, but I do remember my father flying on a VC-10 from New York to Heathrow, and saying they were definitely NOT "Hush Power" if you were down the back of the aircraft near the 4 fuselage mounted engines.
Old 30th December 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
Jack, I don't recall the BOAC VC-10 "Seargant Major" ads on Australian televison, but I do remember my father flying on a VC-10 from New York to Heathrow, and saying they were definitely NOT "Hush Power" if you were down the back of the aircraft near the 4 fuselage mounted engines.
On the outside, VC10's were one of the loudest aircraft you'd ever come across

I would think being down the rear would be like sitting at the back of a DC-9, doubled!

Up front, I'm sure it was very quiet
Old 30th December 2009, 08:59 PM

Hi Anthony

Thanks for sharing the photos which remind me of a glorious era.

Re dust on slides ; I have more than 12,000 slides of civil and military aircraft dating back to the late 60s and I just use a small "puffer" brush or cloth that you clean glasses with to remove the dust. Works well for me and all my slides are filed away in (not quite airtight) boxes so dust is not a major issue.

I remember the BOAC ads "With a minimum of fuss" and still have newspaper clippings from the Melbourne "Herald", "Sun" and "Age" newspapers showing these ads as well as the first Concorde visiting Melbourne with Captain Brian Trubshaw.

Like you I have no interest in uploading any of my photos to internet sites as they probably wouldn't be accepted anyway unless they were "photoshopped" out of existence which in my opinion takes away the essence of the original image which captured a moment in time.

I'm happy to show my slides to other enthusiasts at slide nights where we can drool over each others slides and enjoy a few reds and curries.
Old 30th December 2009, 09:18 PM

I scan my slides then put them away and only ever show the digital scans.The slides then never see the light of day now have over 20,000 slides.as well as the old 1960's plus collection i am now scanning.
Old 30th December 2009, 10:10 PM

Can't locate my Heathrow 707/DC8/VC10 photos. Left my 35mm camera on a London bus one day so no photos for a while. From memory the planes were quite small on the photos (no telephoto lens) but clear enough to scan if I can find them.
From the viewing deck at the original terminal 3 you would see about 30 B707/DC8/VC10 all arriving in the first hour or so. PanAm, TWA, Air Canada, BOAC, Air India etc.

Look forward to seeing some more of Anthony's slides