Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 29th March 2008, 03:09 PM

Default Hotels Near Sydney Airport

Hey everyone my parents put up an idea(For my 18th b'day) of putting me and my best mate/spotter in a hotel right near the airport for 2 nights providing us with 3 solid days of spotting. I have noticed that the Stamford and Formula 1 hotels are quite close by.

So.. My question is..

Which would have the best view of the airport i guess if theres anywhere that i can get a view of aircraft that are in at Int'l terminal and view of RWY16R/34L if thats possible? Of course i would look at getting in the top level but has anybody stayed at any hotels in the area which has a good overview of the airport? Im looking at basically the Stamford, Formula One or maybe even Novotel(might be too far away).

I have seen this photo taken by Mark H from the Formula One which looks like a pretty top view: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6053194

Can anyone give me pointers?

Tim

***EDIT - Sorry Please Move To The Appropriate Forum Topic Thing!

Last edited by Tim Bowrey; 29th March 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Posted In Wrong Forum
Old 29th March 2008, 03:14 PM

novotel brighton for views of 16/34 and int`l terminal
Old 29th March 2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil.l View Post
novotel brighton for views of 16/34 and int`l terminal
Yeah i know thats allright but my mate only uses a 75-300mm lens as i have a 50-500mm so im not too confindent he would benefit too well out of the novotel. You would get a nice view in the afternoon if they departed 16R but im more looking toward the closer ones, almost walking distance from the terminal for easy dinner and breaky

Tim
Old 29th March 2008, 03:22 PM

mercure (old airort hilton) not to far to walk to int`l terminal and 16 right
Old 29th March 2008, 03:30 PM

Formule 1 or Stamford for proximity to Domestic terminals, Mercure for Int'l. Stamford is probably the best in terms of facilities and comfort levels if you can stretch to it. The Stamford's higher and has the best overview of the whole airport from the upper floors.

The Formule 1 and Stamford are east of the 16L centreline, so it's a fair way over to 16R for morning shots such as Mark H's. Your 50-500 should be OK, but it may be a little out of 75-300 range for most aircraft (<767). No photo ops from the Mercure. Novotel Brighton would be ok with the bigger lens, but it's the best part of a couple of kms away.

If you're on foot, there is a bus stop for the domestic long term carpark bus outside the Formule 1, opposite DHL on both sides of the road. That'll get you most of the way to Shep's Mound.

And just some advice from a former hotel manager - if you request a specific room number or even view, the hotel won't guarantee that for you so don't be too disappointed if you end up with a view of the city instead of the airport. They may also not be too happy with you spending too much time up on their roof!

Cheers

Andrew
Old 29th March 2008, 05:14 PM

Ok thanks Andrew ill take all this into consideration.. So your probably leaning towards the Stamford? Ill let my parents know and see what they have to say for that:P

Nobody would have any other pics would they?

Tim
Old 29th March 2008, 06:51 PM

I would go for the Stamford. Each hotel you need a car to get to the Mound. The views from the Stamford are great - you get all three runways so the higher up, the better.
Old 29th March 2008, 06:55 PM

Ok sounds good Sarah. Im getting some good feedback about the Stamford and ill try and go for the top floor facing south or east whichever i can. Have you stayed there?

Thanks
Old 29th March 2008, 08:09 PM

Back when I worked at the Stamford we use to sell specific rates that guarenteed Airport View rooms - there was even a spotters rate for a while (note I worked there way back in 2002 though!!). However it maybe worth asking the question if you booked there. There use to be no difference in cost between airport/non airport view.

I stay at the Holiday Inn for work regurally - don't pick that one, there are only very limited views & only from the high floors. Ibis has no views at all either.

Andrew - I think we use to work together at another hotel?

Have a nice trip!
Old 29th March 2008, 09:29 PM

Tim,

I make a habit of staying at the Stamford when taking early morning flights, have stayed there 9-10 times and can definately vouch for the facilities and level of comfort. Give the Formule 1 a miss its not the best.

The Stamford will put you in a good spot to travel to both the Dom and Int terminals, via a shuttle bus from the stamford and its a $5-$10 cab ride to The Mound for some great morning spotting.

Nick