Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Russel, the H's are camouflaged, the J's are grey although the H's (and J's)are being repainted in a two tone grey paint scheme.
Cheers Damien. Got the two mixed up.

Quote:
the camo thing you would have seen today is an overseas thing with the callsign "Condor"

Singapore i think off the top of my head.
I pretty sure you're right, because I distinctly remember noticing that the camo scheme was a much darker version similar to a "jungle" theme using greens similar to that of the US Marines.

Definitely darker in comparison to the RAAF camo hercs.
Old 7th May 2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
A C130H bought back the fallen soldier, thats what was on the TV.
funny, but the picture I saw was off a C17

obviously one of the TV channel was using old file film

Banjo
Old 7th May 2008, 08:52 PM

Banjo if you read my previous post you'll see that the C-130H brought Lance Corporal Jason Marks body out of Afghanistan and the C-17 brought his body into RAAF Richmond. I assume the C-17 either couldn't get into the airfield in Afghanistan and the C-130H transported Jason to another location in the area or they swaped planes at a place such as Diego Garcia.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
funny, but the picture I saw was off a C17

obviously one of the TV channel was using old file film

Banjo
The vision from Richmond ceremony was filmed by Defence as the media were not permitted, as requested by the family.

Defence then used a freelance microwave link truck to send out selected footage and was sent to all networks at about 1615hrs, so it is surprising why someone used old footage, unless it was TEN who would of been pushing time due to their 5pm time slot.

There were a couple solders returned from Vietnam last year on C-130s, maybe they used that footage?
Old 9th May 2008, 08:08 PM

Thursday 9th May (approx 1:30-2:40pm)
Saw some C-130s (one grey and two camouflaged) doing some low-flying over the Londonderry/Castlereagh are. Had some flaps deployed and were making some rather tight banking turns relatively low to the ground.

Possibly some international training run with that Singapore C-130 perhaps? If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw at least one of the C-130s (the grey one) with the rear loading ramp thingy open.
Old 9th May 2008, 08:32 PM

I am lead to believe that last Friday, a C-17 was doing practice approaches and go-arounds at Maroochydore
Old 10th May 2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D View Post
Thursday 9th May (approx 1:30-2:40pm)
Saw some C-130s (one grey and two camouflaged) doing some low-flying over the Londonderry/Castlereagh are. Had some flaps deployed and were making some rather tight banking turns relatively low to the ground.

Possibly some international training run with that Singapore C-130 perhaps? If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw at least one of the C-130s (the grey one) with the rear loading ramp thingy open.

Londonderry has a 'drop zone' where C-130 crews can practice deploying cargo out the rear of the aircraft with the cargo usually having parachutes to slow its decent.

Singapore C-130s are here anually doing low level, navigaton and air drop training as well as working with RAAF crews. Singapore AF aircraft are common sights at many RAAF bases during the year as they use our airspace for training.