Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 2nd March 2011, 11:19 AM

Best take off.

My first flight at age 11 in 1959 on a school excursion to Canberra.

It was a DC4 Skymaster. I was full of apprehension as the bus neared the airport, but by the time we boarded the plane I was excited.

I still remember the accelleration down the runway, nothing like a jet, but neither were cars in those days. Fastest I'd ever gone.

Worst takeoff

QF 737 rwy 16 Melbourne. The pilot was still turning onto the runway when he gunned it. We careered down th runway correcting L/R/L/R/l/R/L/R etc.

the passengers were being thrown around severely. I was seriously thinking I hope he gets it off the ground before he loses it. He did luckily.

I also love the Sydney 34R turn right before 07/25 departure. Thats some steep turning.

Best Landing

Kai Tak. I just remember the buildings.

There've been hundreds but none stand out except a 767 on 34L landing sideways and correcting on impact. (felt it in my back)

Also 747 300 Perth -Syd,. red eye. Landed at around 6.10am 34L with no reverse thrust or heavy braking. Gentlest landing I've ever experienced.

Last edited by Jeff Lane; 2nd March 2011 at 03:40 PM.