Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 9th September 2012, 10:19 AM

Default Trip Report: DJ (QQ) and JQ BNE-NTL-BNE (Photos)

Introduction:

I booked this trip a while ago, back in February when Jetstar had a really good sale. Brisbane to Newcastle was about $30, I also checked Virgin Australia as they were now using Fokker 100s leased from Alliance to fly to Cairns, Proserpine, Rockhampton and Newcastle. And they also had a sale, $59 one way. So I booked it for Saturday August 4. I would be flying on Virgin Australia flight DJ1102 operated by Alliance departing Brisbane at 0920 and arriving into Newcastle at 1035. And I would be returning on Jetstar flight JQ484 departing Newcastle at 1355 and arriving in Brisbane at 1505. My friend Josh would also be joining me.

Brisbane Airport:

Got to the airport at around 0730 and met up with Josh at the Virgin Australia end of the terminal. We passed through security with no issues and we had a look around to see what was in Brisbane today.

VH-VBY arrives from Melbourne

VH-NXD taxies out for a departure to Alice Springs

Six Virgin tails, four old and two new

Alliance Fokker 70 VH-QQX after arriving from Emerald

VH-VBY getting ready to go back to Melbourne

About an hour before departure, VH-XWR was towed to our gate which was unexpected. Virgin use VH-XWM and VH-XWN for their Fokker 100 services but they decided to use a different one for our flight! Didn’t bother me because the only Fokker 100 I had been on previously was VH-FKF. So a new rego for me!

XWR just before boarding

Boarding commenced on time so Josh and I made our way onto the Fokker!

August 4, 2012
Virgin Australia (Alliance)
DJ1102
BNE-NTL
VH-XWR F100
Seat 19G

I had 19F next to me free with somebody in 19E and lucky Josh had the whole row 15 to himself!

The view from 19G, not as good as row 18 which was unfortunately already taken when I checked in.

Lined up on RWY19 for an on-time departure

Josh took a video of the takeoff. Absolutely love the sound of those engines!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILd3_...ature=g-user-u

Passing the international terminal

Passing the Gateway Bridges

Right hand turn with Archerfield Airport visible in the distance

Cruising at 32000 feet

Overhead the town of Armidale with Armidale Airport visible on the left

Making our way down to Williamtown

Interior
Old 9th September 2012, 10:20 AM

It was a very quick comfortable flight. Before I knew it we were descending into Newcastle Airport.

On downwind for RWY30

Over the beach on base for RWY30

Slowing down on RWY30

Crossing the runway on our way to the passenger terminal

Newcastle Airport

We arrived on-time and disembarked the Fokker. After a quick look around the terminal we started walking to the fighter museum, about a 20 minute walk from the terminal.

Passing the approach lighting for RWY30

Fight World

We bought our tickets and had a look around the two hangars at the museum and checked out the observation deck for a bit, but there was very little happening, just the departure of a QantasLink Dash 8-300 to Brisbane. Our Fokker had already departed back to Brisbane. Here are some of my photos from the museum.

Old 9th September 2012, 10:21 AM

After having a look around the museum and having a very nice lunch at the café, we went back to the terminal. As we walked around to the terminal we saw a Rex Saab 340 and an Aeropelican Jetstream arrive from Sydney, unfortunately I didn’t get any good photos because I had my small lens on my camera. And when we got to the terminal, our Jetstar A320 arrived from Melbourne, and it was VH-VGD so another new rego for me.

VH-VGD!

Some photos of the terminal

We then passed through security and waited for our boarding call, and pretty soon we were on our way out to VH-VGD.

August 4, 2012
Jetstar
JQ484
NTL-BNE
VH-VGD A320
Seat 22A

This Virgin Embraer 190 had since arrived from Melbourne, can’t remember the rego unfortunately.

Aeropelican Jetstream 31 VH-OTE

Jetstar Airbus A320 VH-VGD

VH-VQU arrives from Brisbane

Boarding via the rear stairs

On-board in Seat 22A

Lined up and ready for departure on RWY30
Old 9th September 2012, 10:21 AM

Turning towards the north

We got up to our cruising altitude (cant’ remember what it was), a very short flight, only about 50 minutes. As we were nearing top of descent we went into some pretty rough turbulence, had a few people worried! Probably the roughest I have experienced, we got out of it after a minute or two and then started our descent into Brisbane.

On finals for RWY01 over the Brisbane River as the Pacific Dawn begins a week long cruise out to Noumea, Lifou and Port Vila.

Old international terminal

Taxiing to the terminal

Parked next to Tiger!

VH-XWR is back off to Newcastle!

VH-VBY again! Back off to Melbourne!

Interior of VH-VGD

QantasLink Boeing 717 VH-NXO

VH-EBO off to Perth

And that was the end of my Newcastle daytrip!

Conclusion:

Another enjoyable trip! Both flights were very good, Newcastle Airport was very nice and the museum was great to look around. Thanks for reading!

Next trip for me is in November/December to Sydney for 2 nights and then across to New Zealand for 3 nights in Auckland and 3 nights in Queenstown with Josh after finishing Year 12 We will be flying on QF8 down to Sydney, on the Emirates A380 to Auckland! We will fly with Air New Zealand from AKL-WLG-ZQN and again from ZQN-CHC-AKL and then on Emirates back to Brisbane on a Boeing 777-300ER! We are also flying to Milford Sound for the day which will be spectacular! Can’t wait
Old 9th September 2012, 12:03 PM

Can't wait to see your vids and photos from flying into Milford Sound and Queenstown