Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 27th October 2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radi K View Post
The fastest vaccine developed to date has been for mumps, and that took four years.

The current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses.

Good luck with that.
Agreed with your pessimism. There's no way the vaccine will be the defining factor.

My personal opinion is accurate, rapid testing will be the savior. We've seen already within a few weeks of the virus that testing was able to scaled quickly with accurate results. My thoughts are that a rapid test, with 99.9% accurate results will become available at some point in the future that can be scaled on massive levels, and you will require one on check in at the airport.
Old 27th October 2020, 08:50 AM

Rapid COVID tests are now taking place at both DXB and FCO airports . I’m not certain of their accuracy levels , but no doubt the authorities at these locations would paint a positive picture .

Dave C
Old 27th October 2020, 10:24 AM

Interesting, thanks Dave. I believe the new Covid normal will include rapid testing at any event where large crowds gather. Cruise ships, concerts, conventions etc.

I just don't see how it's feasible to rely on a vaccine that will be rushed to market like nothing has in history before, with a high level of effectiveness, and making it compulsory.