Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 2nd November 2015, 05:03 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Brian, Have a look at the Panospheres I have been creating lately, there is one of The Mound taken only a week or so ago.

The others so far are The Beach and Port Botany Launching Ramp. The spheres take advantage of Pan & Tilt on smartphones to look around the image.

You can look left, right, up and down, as well as zoom in and out, and there are hyperlinks to points of interest at the bottom of the screen.

16Right Panospheres
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:54 PM

Thanks Nigel & Grahame. Grahame I've been following your pics and yes I have seen what your going through in case of tying to take unobstructed view photo's on Sheps mound!

P.S yeah thanks again Grahame just had a look at your link. Ill up in Feb and hope it don't get worse!
Thanks all again!

Regards
Brian Wilkes

Last edited by Brian Wilkes; 2nd November 2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 3rd November 2015, 06:31 AM

While it's always going to be a shame to lose spotting areas, from the perspective of someone who operates from this airport all the time, any development of the airport as an airport is more than welcome! It is by far the least user friendly airport in Australia in its present form.

Bring on Badgerys Creek!

Mick
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:42 AM
Prolific Member

'Least user friendly'? How so?
Old 3rd November 2015, 09:32 AM

More the layout of the terminals Nige. If you're unlucky enough to get pipped by another aircraft for a pushback out of T2 there, then having to wait for inbound aircraft, you can be left waiting for up to 15-20 minutes (that's my record) before you're allowed to push!

The taxiway layout around the T2 area as well could be very easy for someone unfamiliar with it, to get the wrong taxiway.

It's not the most efficient layout, put it that way.

Mick
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:33 AM

Not to mention the ridiculous movements cap and inefficient use of runways.

We all welcome development at the airport, but it's terminal gates that are needed now not in 20 years, as well as hardstands.

I've read in the master plan that the re-alignment of taxyway Bravo and charlie will take place to handle code F aircraft movements independently, this is good news, hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.

But most importantly rwy 34R/16L needs to be utilised mostly for arrivals except for code F aircraft and rwy 34L/16R for departures, hence it's longer length. The directional system in place at the moment is very inefficient. With the extension of bravo till the end of 34L this should make it easier to be applied.

I've spoken to many people around the airport about this, just about all agree this would be a much better system.
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:54 AM
Prolific Member

I agree the taxiway layout is pretty complex in that spot (Twy's Charlie-2, Bravo-4, Dom-2, Charlie, Golf for anyone who isn't sure of where we mean, see attached pics), and I know it's an area that's fairly well tested for people getting taxiway driving authority's.

If you had the option of changing it from it's 2010 layout Mick, what would you have suggested?

Old 6th November 2015, 04:40 AM

Personally, I think B4 running diagonally there should be done away with. That would make it a lot easier just by doing that!

But it's also the terminal layout that is the biggest problem. Probably fine when it was built for Ansett back in the day, but it can be a nightmare some days.

Mick
Old 8th November 2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
From what I have heard, the Federal Government has told the SACL to install an electric fence around the complete perimeter of the airport.
That's gotta hurt when the ladder touches the fence
Old 8th November 2015, 10:40 PM
Prolific Member

I guess it will make it easy to see who the culprit is.