Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2011, 03:05 PM

How do airports without a curfew do their maintenace and capital works?

Anyway - when the curfew was imposed I am sure the maintenance of runways etc was the last thing on the politician's mind.
Old 20th October 2011, 04:27 PM

Dont 24hr airports have maintenance requirements too? How do they cope?
Old 20th October 2011, 05:49 PM
Prolific Member

Non-curfew airports probably have full use of all their other runways too, unlike Sydney which is restriced to the main north-south unless medical or emergency priority take over.

You've got to remember, Sydney's quite restricted in the available taxi routes as it is, especially in areas like the Qantas Jet Base and T3. A pavement failure along here, as happened this time yesterday, can potentially cause all sorts of grief especially when 9 of the 14 available bays are effectively taken out of service. At least in T2 there's the option of only having 1 apron closed if push came to shove.

But to take the capital works issue further, contracts would be in place for the work that needs to be done and the time frame in which it's supposed to be done and contractors would have geared their workforce up to meet the requirements. If it's Qantas who are having the industrial disputes, and the Federal Government declare the curfew period over until things get sorted, then who pays the compensation for the variation in contract to the contractors performing the capital works? I somehow don't think the airport will wear this cost!
Old 20th October 2011, 05:56 PM

Hey Guys for those of you wondering about the specifics of flights departing before curfew this link might be useful. It's a PDF document listing slot coordination guidelines for all Australian airports but the Sydney section is the one important one! Good reading.

This link should work

http://www.coordaus.com.au/Coordaus/...nes_100504.pdf
Old 21st October 2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

>>>
Curfew is when airfield capital works and repairs get done. Last night Dom 1 (essential repairs), Dom 2 (some essential repairs and capital works) and Dom 3 (capital works) were closed to facilitate such works. It was one night when the main runway actually remained in its full length configuration, which is quite unusual these days for a weeknight.

Do you suggest the airport just puts all these (especially the essential works) on the back-burner?
>>>

Gee the 2 most important airports in OZ BNE & MEL seem to manage.

Oh forgot NSW is "run" by hopeless public servants. Glad I don't live in SYD.
Old 21st October 2011, 03:10 PM

Actually, the NSW Government is not directly involved in any aspect of the management of Sydney Airport. Nor, for that matter, are QLD or VIC directly involved in the management of BNE or MEL.
Old 21st October 2011, 03:48 PM

Andrew, you really have no idea do you?
29/3/24 QF2078 (TQH)
29/3/24 QF945 (VXA)
17/3/24 QF1268 (X4A)
17/3/24 QF1267 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1274 (X4A)
1/3/24 QF1269 (X4B)
Old 21st October 2011, 04:05 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Johnson View Post
>>>
Curfew is when airfield capital works and repairs get done. Last night Dom 1 (essential repairs), Dom 2 (some essential repairs and capital works) and Dom 3 (capital works) were closed to facilitate such works. It was one night when the main runway actually remained in its full length configuration, which is quite unusual these days for a weeknight.

Do you suggest the airport just puts all these (especially the essential works) on the back-burner?
>>>

Gee the 2 most important airports in OZ BNE & MEL seem to manage.

Oh forgot NSW is "run" by hopeless public servants. Glad I don't live in SYD.
Melbourne also managed to get its main runway closed 24/7 for around 6 weeks straight to facilitate A380 upgrade and resurfacing works. Sydney doesn't have that luxury and in fact it can't be closed full length for even one night anymore (there used to be provision for 1 Saturday night per month for a full length closure).

Melbourne and Brisbane also don't have the Federal Transport Minister living on their doorstep either. And nor are those airports as much a political hot potato as Sydney is.
Old 23rd October 2011, 01:24 AM

Is there any reason that 16L/34R isn't used during curfew? I regularly see reduced LDA and displaced threshold on 16R/34L and wonder why the parl rwy isnt used. I can't imagine it would have any different effect on residents..?

I guess this ties in with the "if there was no curfew when would capital works get done" argument.
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

Bae146's can use SYD during curfew. Aren't many new aircraft types as quiet as Bae146's ?

If so, it may be a way for SYD to handle extra demand before they get another airport.