Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 24th October 2011, 09:44 PM

Default Trip Report: DJ BNE-SYD-PQQ-SYD-BNE

Hi all,

On Saturday I flew from Brisbane to Port Macquarie via Sydney and return also via Sydney. The main reason for this trip was to fly on Virgin Australia’s brand new ATR72-500s (actually owned by Skywest).

Introduction

As soon as I heard Virgin would be getting ATR72s I knew I had to fly on them My friend Josh who went with me to Sydney in May and Melbourne in June also wanted to come. And when Virgin announced the routes they would be operating we started to think about where we would fly to. At first we thought we would fly Brisbane to Gladstone return, one way on Virgin and one way on QantasLink.

And then the flights went on sale so I checked and Gladstone was on sale for $69 I believe. And Qantas was about the same, but I couldn’t find these fares for the days I wanted to travel. So we left for the time being. And one day I was just searching random flights on the Virgin site and saw that the normal fare for BNE-PQQ via SYD had been reduced to $99 one way due to direct flights being announced. So I looked at a few different dates and found the flights I wanted for travel on October 22nd.

The flights were DJ900 departing BNE at 0500 and arriving in SYD at 0735 local time, connection time in SYD was 1 hour and 5 minutes and then on to DJ1187 to PQQ arriving at 0940. We would have a bit over 3 hours in Port Macquarie and then onto DJ1188 back to SYD departing at 1255 and arriving at 1400, and then 3 hours connecting time in SYD and then onto DJ965 back to BNE arriving at 1730 local time. I told Josh and he said it sounded good, so I then asked my parents for permission and they said that I could go. So I booked, all up it cost $207, Josh didn’t pay a cent as he used his frequent flyer points he recently got from his trip to the US.

We booked in August and started counting down straight away and before we knew it October 22nd had arrived

Brisbane Airport

I arrived at the airport at around 0415 very tired after a 0315 wakeup call Josh had already arrived and was at our departure gate. I was very happy to see VH-YIB at our gate New rego for me and a very new plane which was great. My second time in a new VA B738 after flying on VH-YFE last month. And Josh’s first time in one. At around 0440 boarding commenced so we lined up to board the aircraft

October 22, 2011
Virgin Australia
DJ900
BNE-SYD
VH-YIB B738 (Un-named)
Seat 12A

Boarded through the rear stairs, unfortunately I didn’t get any good photos boarding the plane as it was still quite dark. Took my seat (12A) with Josh in front in 11A. Pretty soon everybody was on board and we were being pushed back.

About to be pushed back

VOV and VBH

Taxied to RWY01 for takeoff, saw FVH at an off bay, would see her later in the day And saw VBY who I was hoping I would see later

Roaring down RWY01

GA Apron

Right turn
Old 24th October 2011, 09:46 PM

Was a nice sunrise

Row 12 is definitely my favourite row for the 737-800

The sun still coming up, climbed up to 40 000ft

Descending, very cloudy in Sydney!

On finals for RWY16L, came out of the clouds and had already passed the CBD, had an awesome affect coming off the wing and it kept going!

And touchdown!

T1

Korean B744 about to land on RWY16R!

Sydney Airport

Was happy to see a United/Continental B744 over at T1, my first time seeing one Parked at Gate 31 and de-boarded through the aerobridge. After that we had a quick look around T2 before grabbing some breakfast.

YIB at the gate, preparing for her flight to Cairns

ZPR looking awesome, first I have seen the new livery on an E190

XFB about to depart for Perth

Got some hot cakes and orange juice from McDonalds and then found a seat in the food court over looking T2.

4 QantasLink Q400s
Old 24th October 2011, 09:47 PM

YIB

Emirates A380 taxiing to T1

After breakfast we went to Gate 39 for our flight up to Port Macquarie. At around 0810 our plane landed on RWY16R from Canberra and it was VH-FVI “Mission Beach”.

Here she is about to park at the gate

At about 0840 (our scheduled departure time) boarding commenced so we lined up and walked out to our aircraft!

October 22, 2011
Virgin Australia (operated by Skywest)
DJ1187
SYD-PQQ
VH-FVI AT72 “Mission Beach”
Seat 4A

Walked out and boarded FVI and went down the front of the plane to seat 4A with Josh behind in 5A.

VUJ at the gate next to us

VH-FVI and VH-YIB

Ready for the flight up to Cairns!

Boarding

There was a small delay and at about 0905 we were taxiing to RWY16L

Passing the mound with a few spotters out!

Holding short for a Rex Saab 340

Takeoff!

Above the clouds

Reached our cruising altitude and the crew came around with a complementary drink and a snack which Virgin offer on all ATR flights. Drinks on offer are water, juice, tea and coffee and todays snack was a cookie. I just took the cookie which I didn’t think tasted very nice. Some awesome views of the NSW coast line inflight, very nice!
Old 24th October 2011, 09:48 PM

Awesome view from 4A

A very quick flight SYD-PQQ! On finals for RWY03. Quite a bumpy approach

And were down!

At the gate

The interior

[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6214/6275999222_496d***372_z.jpg[/img]

Leaving FVI behind

Port Macquarie Airport

After hopping off FVI, we had a quick look around the car park and took some photos of the GA planes. And then walked back to the arrivals area to watch FVI being prepared for the flight back to Sydney.

Mission Beach

The captain handing over some paper work

Nice looking tail!

Off to Sydney

After watching FVI depart we just sat down in the terminal. Very small but looked very nice, love small airports like this At about 1045,QantasLink staff announced that the flight from Lord Howe Island was on final approach and that passengers travelling to Lord Howe should go through security so Josh and myself went outside to catch her arrival.

TQS coming to a stop

At the gate

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 24th October 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 24th October 2011, 09:49 PM

We waited outside for her departure, only a 20 minute turn around, she departed on time

TQS taxiing out to RWY03

Off to Lord Howe Island!

I would love to go to Lord Howe Island one day, looks amazing! Will see TQS later in the day

After TQS departed we got lunch at the small café at the airport. Got a burger which was very nice and a coke. After lunch I wanted to have a wonder around the car park and get some photos inside and outside of the terminal.

A NSW Air Ambulance plane that landed while we were there

Arrivals area at the terminal, which offers a great view of the apron

Outside the terminal

Some GA planes parked against the fence

Qantas check in

Virgin check in

Café is behind the wall to the right

After I had all the photos I wanted it was 1225 and our ATR72 that would take us to Sydney was about to land, so we went to the arrivals area. I knew it was FVH as I went on balus on my phone Was hoping to get the first ATR72 in the Virgin fleet. Saw her in Bundaberg in August and went inside her in the school holidays for the evacuation demo

FVH arrives from Brisbane

Four Mile Beach!

So after photographing her arrival we went through security and into the very nice departure lounge.
Old 24th October 2011, 09:50 PM

The Departure lounge

Boarding commenced on time and I was one of the first to board

October 22, 2011
Virgin Australia (operated by Skywest)
DJ1188
PQQ-SYD
VH-FVH AT72 “Four Mile Beach”
Seat 9A

Boarding!

Onboard in Seat 9A with Josh in 8A, I counted just over 30 people onboard

Backtracking RWY03

Lining up

And were up!

Left turn

Port Macquarie Airport

Port Macquarie!
[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6105/6275543271_5f9f9e4***_z.jpg[/img]

Was a very smooth flight, complementary snack and drink was offered, the snack was cheese and biscuits. I just had an orange juice. Again, some fantastic views inflight! On descent, saw Bondi Beach and thought we were too high for RWY16R/L and then we had a steep right turn and when we levelled out we were passing Sydney! Looked fantastic, a lot better than in the morning!

Sydney

We were too low for RWY34R/L so I thought we must be heading for RWY07! First time for me using the cross runway at Sydney.

Turning finals over Bankstown! Fantastic view!

Short finals

Two United B744s (N117UA old livery and N119UA new livery)

Thai and Virgin Atlantic A340-600s
Old 24th October 2011, 09:51 PM

More heavies!

And at the gate 31 again

She would be off to Canberra in a few hours

Sydney Airport

Had a look around the terminal to see if there was anything interesting, just missed XFA which came in from Perth, she had already been towed to an off bay.

ZPQ, probably won’t be in this livery much longer

ZPF

So after a quick look around I decided to go to ‘The Stairs’ to do some spotting and to show Josh the spot. Glad we went here as we caught a few good departures

DHL B752F G-CSVS

Ex Qantas B763 VH-OGF departs Australia

VH-OEH off to Dallas/Fort Worth

United B744 N117UA departs

After seeing UA depart we went back inside as it was quite hot! Was going to wait outside and catch the Cargolux B744F arriving but I looked on the net and it was delayed and wouldn’t arrive till late in the night.

FVH again
Old 24th October 2011, 09:51 PM

Cathay Pacific A333 B-LAK departs for Hong Kong

REX Saab 340 VH-ZRH and UPS MD-11 N274UP

Singapore Cargo B744F 9V-SFF

United B744 N119UA departs

Air Austral B77W F-OSYD departs for Paris via Reunion Island

TQS after flying PQQ-LDH-SYD And an Air NZ B772

Virgin Blue B738 VH-VUW at her gate

VH-VBM after arriving from Townsville, she would be the aircraft taking me home to Brisbane, was hoping for VBY as she will apparently lose her special scheme soon and this would be my last opportunity to fly on her, but still a new rego for me, first time on a VB B737-700!

FedEx MD-11 N585FE arrives from Honolulu

Love MD-11s, wish we got them in Brissy!

Norfolk Air B733 VH-NLK arrives

BA B772 with a VB B737 on finals for 07

At about 1645 boarding commenced!
Old 24th October 2011, 09:52 PM

October 22, 2011
Virgin Australia
DJ965
SYD-BNE
VH-VBM B737 “Tassie Tigress”
Seat 10A

Onboard in 10A, only my second flight in a B737-700, my first being over 8 years ago on DQ-FJF from NAN-BNE!!

Love seats with a view like this Another low load, just over half full

PRX seen as we push back

Taxiing out to RWY34R after a change of runways

Roaring down 34R passing a Qantas B763 taxiing out

Takeoff! Nice effect over the wing

Right turn

Sydney! Third time I saw it from the air that day!

Was a smooth flight, flicked between the flight map and a Hyundai A-League match.

Seen here on finals for RWY01 passing the city

The old ITB with all the regulars (Mineralogy MD82, Solomon A320, Heavylift B734F and Hi Fly A343)

The ITB

Rare visit by a Eva Air B744 Combi
Old 24th October 2011, 09:53 PM

Short finals

Slowing down

Last photo for the trip of brand new VH-YFH

And that was the end of a fantastic trip!

Conclusion

Awesome trip had a fantastic time. Doing well with the Virgin rego’s VH-YIB was great, brand new plane, love the new interior and livery. VH-FVH and FVI were great, the ATRs are fantastic, very comfortable and look forward to whenever I fly on them again! VH-VBM wasn’t so nice, was looking a bit old and there wasn’t much leg room, still a nice flight though. Love flying with Virgin

Port Macquarie Airport was nice, nice terminal and a few movements so enjoyed my time there. Sydney was awesome as usual, lots of movements

No more daytrips booked at the moment, for my next one I am planning to go up to Mackay with QantasLink to fly on the Boeing 717s once they arrive and also on a Dash 8 for the first time

Thanks for reading!

Also, if you are interested, Josh took videos of the takeoff's and landing's (except the SYD-BNE flight) and has uploaded most of his videos just a few more to go.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Joshmatica25

Last edited by Brandon Giacomin; 24th October 2011 at 10:00 PM.