Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th October 2008, 09:47 PM

I vaguely thought that the price paid was linked to the cost of Singapore Jet Fuel.
If that were the case the $A vs $S has only varied by -15 to -18% - not by -35% as against $US
Old 10th October 2008, 07:33 AM

With oil now trading at US$85 a barrel at this timeframe, just interested as to what it averaging around the same time last year...?
Old 10th October 2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas M View Post
With oil now trading at US$85 a barrel at this timeframe, just interested as to what it averaging around the same time last year...?
Interesting question.

I just had a look at historical exhange rates.

Back in 2004 the AUd was sitting around 72c US - Not to far from where it is now and oil was around the $60 per barrel mark.

From 2004
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...784049180.html

"The airline will lift its one-way fuel surcharge for Qantas domestic, QantasLink and Jetstar flights by $2 to $12. One-way surcharges for international flights will rise $7 to $29.

"With jet fuel now at more than $US60 a barrel and showing no sign of falling, an increase in the airline's fuel surcharge was unavoidable," Qantas chief financial officer Peter Gregg said in a statement.
"
International flights are now upto $190 on some routes!
Old 10th October 2008, 01:45 PM

this time last year it was around $77 USD p/b, but the AUD was buying close on .90 USD, the price was less back then for a barrel and it was helped by a strong AUD, now oil is falling back to last years price but the AUD is plunging with it.

right now the AUD is buying .66 USD and a barrel of oil is trading at $83.29USD, so it works out to be around $130 AUD for a barrel of liquid tar.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 10th October 2008, 06:03 PM

QF share price has taken another hammering along with the rest of the market today...

$2.58, how low will the ASX go?

Next Flights:
Old 10th October 2008, 06:19 PM

Crap its finished below 4000...we were pushing 7000 last year .

We've got a ways to slide yet...I can't see anything in terms of confidence coming into the markets.
Old 10th October 2008, 07:49 PM

The ASX is in for rough times yet. I feel sorry for everyone who has their nest egg tied up with the big superannuation companies, you guys must have lots a fortune over the past few weeks. Fortunately I have my super managed by myself and my exposure really hasn't changed. I thank god for that because it woould take several years to recoup the losses made by most super firms.

Good news is the banks are willing to throw money at you for less now, I have CBA offering mortgages back in the low 7% bracket which was unheard of a few months back.

Hang on tight the rollercoaster hasn't ended yet.
Old 10th October 2008, 07:55 PM

Watch for the next interest rate cuts - the dollar is going slip further

Heh, our holiday next year may well have to be put on hold (again!)
Old 10th October 2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post

Good news is the banks are willing to throw money at you for less now, I have CBA offering mortgages back in the low 7% bracket which was unheard of a few months back.
good luck getting a loan though..banks aren't even lending to each other let alone anyone else, I'm riding it out, might even start buying up.

Next Flights:
Old 11th October 2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
good luck getting a loan though..banks aren't even lending to each other let alone anyone else, I'm riding it out, might even start buying up.
Its got a way to fall yet i believe, but more of this thinking is certainly coming around, an encouraging sign that the market is meeting some kind of Level of Support.

But in the same way the market has to be very careful of the quick selling of stocks after purchase.