Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 10th July 2021, 09:23 AM

Default Question about the YSSY spotters platform at Rydges Hotel

With the current lockdown and stay-at-home orders in place, nobody would be doing much spotting, but I would like to know if anyone can show us some photos (links) taken from the Rydges viewing platform.

I've never been up there myself, and I'd like to know how the view pans out.

Is it worth the entry fee? If so, I might take a look when the current COVID-19 lockdown restrictions ease.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th July 2021, 10:40 PM

Rydges viewing platform closed a few years back now. First it was incorporated into a bar, but now I think it is part of a private function room. A similar spotting location is the International Car Park.
Old 12th July 2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean D View Post
Rydges viewing platform closed a few years back now. First it was incorporated into a bar, but now I think it is part of a private function room. A similar spotting location is the International Car Park.
You can't buy a beer though. L12 of the P6 carpark (lift has been on again for a couple of months) gives a great view of most of the airfield apart from the western half of 07/25. The first few landings in this vid were shot from there.
https://youtu.be/qdvUyvWrmtw
Old 16th September 2021, 08:40 AM

Are there any restrictions on going up to those International Terminal car parks if you're only spotting, not parking?

I assume airport staff/security know that spotters like the location now that Rydge's is gone?
Old 16th September 2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
Are there any restrictions on going up to those International Terminal car parks if you're only spotting, not parking?

I assume airport staff/security know that spotters like the location now that Rydge's is gone?
I have never been approached by security on L12. About 12 months ago a security staff member indicated to me as I rode my bike up the ramps that P6 was closed, but took it no further.

The lifts and lighting haven't been switched off again during the current lockdown. The only parking appears to be rental car storage. I visit at least twice a week.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
I have never been approached by security on L12. About 12 months ago a security staff member indicated to me as I rode my bike up the ramps that P6 was closed, but took it no further.

The lifts and lighting haven't been switched off again during the current lockdown. The only parking appears to be rental car storage. I visit at least twice a week.
What is P6? Is that the staff carpark, just beside the International passenger carpark?
Old 17th September 2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
What is P6? Is that the staff carpark, just beside the International passenger carpark?
At various times it has been accessible for staff and travellers, with vehicle bridges on a few levels. P7 next door is 8 levels and the views to the east blocked by office, P6 is 12 levels with a view of almost all of the airfield form its NE corner