Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 12th May 2008, 11:54 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default US upgrades to 10 fingerprint collection

Quote:
Two fingerprints for non-US citizens are no longer enough

The latest security measures from the US Department of Homeland Security require collection of all fingerprints from international visitors, as opposed to two previously, at New York’s JFK Airport.

The department upgrade intends to enhance precautionary measures, facilitating safety in travel by accurately authenticating visitor’s identities.

US VISIT Director, Robery Mocny, explained that “Biometrics have revolutionised our ability to prevent dangerous people for entering the United States since 2004.”
“Our upgrade to 10 fingerprint collection [from 2 previously] builds on our success, enabling us to focus more attention on stopping potential security risks,” he continued.

The collection of digital fingerprints and a photograph from all non-US citizens at American points of entry has been common practice for over four years, by the US Department of State and US Customs and Border Protection.

“Quite simply, this change gives our officers a more accurate idea of who is in front of them,” said Paul Morris, Executive Director of Admissibility and Passenger Programs, Office of Field Operations, CBP.

“For legitimate visitors, the process becomes more efficient and their identities are better protected from theft. For those who may pose a risk, we will have greater insight into who they are.”

The current program compared biometric data to DHS records of immigration offenders and FBI records, which will be more accurate using 10 fingerprints.
One of the world’s busiest airports, JFK tends to require almost 14,400 international visitors to complete the US VISIT procedures daily.

The ten-fingerprint collection procedures have already been introduced to nine airports in the United States, including Washington, Chicago, Houston, and Boston.

The current ports of entry which utilise this technology are the trial airports, and depending on the results, US VISIT will decide whether to implement the same technology in the remaining American air, sea and land borders by the end of the year.
-eTravel
Old 12th May 2008, 01:17 PM

after my run-in with Dulles customs in January I'm less likely to travel into the US again for some time. I never objected when giving 2 prints but 10 is beyond ridiculous, why they need my 10 fingerprints when WA police here don't have them is beyond me.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 12th May 2008, 03:19 PM

When are they going to ask for blood and urine samples?

We are entering the USA in Seattle by boat later this year.
Old 12th May 2008, 07:19 PM

Maybe Australia should be asking the same from all US citizens.This country needs to have some form of Protection for the us Aussies.
Old 14th May 2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
when WA police here don't have them is beyond me.
Speaking from experience

But seriously, would you not travel to a country just because they want to take more fingerprints ? I look at it as it's small price to pay and as annoying as it makes the entry to the country, its a small annoyance for a great time
Old 14th May 2008, 02:02 PM

You would be stuffed if u didnt have 8 fingers and two thumbs
Old 14th May 2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Speaking from experience

But seriously, would you not travel to a country just because they want to take more fingerprints ? I look at it as it's small price to pay and as annoying as it makes the entry to the country, its a small annoyance for a great time
absolutely I would and I won't be heading back to the US in a hurry...what happens if those prints end up in the wrong hands? sorry, but I am NO criminal and I refuse to given 10 prints too another jurisdiction when I have not broken their laws.

I didn't object with two..but all 10 digits is ridiculous.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 14th May 2008, 03:56 PM

Fair enough I guess, but I am confident that they will hold my fingerprints in a very very safe and secure system.

Whilst being annoying, it won't stop me going to the USA and enjoying what is otherwise a fantastic country!