Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 14th December 2009, 04:11 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

The Mound's condition as at Sunday afternoon 13th December.

Old 14th December 2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the pics Kurt - I think the sand at the back shows how easy it would be to get bogged. Also that "hill" to the right where a lot of people park has really worn away with all the car traffic.
Old 14th December 2009, 07:08 PM
Prolific Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
They have been there only once Andrew about 10 days ago, and the sand was very soft long before then, so another theory would be in order!
Maybe once 10 days ago but if they (or any other car dealer that gets introduced to its location by prospective buyers) decide to use it regularly for such activities the condition of the mound is sure to deteriorate even quicker...

Quote:
Don't laugh but I've introduced Sydney City Toyota to Shep's Mound as a great site to demonstrate the off road capabilities of their new Prado Kakadu - the soft sand, the hump in the mound, and the slope down to the road on the northern side make for a terrific little 4wd playground, and then you can stop and do some spotting!
Do you care to leave your contact details at the mound so those who get bogged at this "terrific little 4wd playground" can get towed out by your terrific no-so-little 4wd?

I'm not laughing, and I don't even go there.
Old 14th December 2009, 07:33 PM

If Toyota seriously consider the mound as a proving ground for the Prado then I will introduce it to Hyundai to demonstrate the off road capabilities of the i30
Old 14th December 2009, 08:20 PM

Philip

First let me say that I appreciate and enjoy your contributions to this forum. In my opinion you are a valued member of this online community and I find your posts enjoyable and informative.

But mate what were you thinking!

Decent spotting areas are becoming less and less around YSSY and Sheps mound has been deteriorating for a while. Your introduction of the area for
4WD testing while I'm sure was well intentioned was not a great idea.

We all make bad judgement calls at times and this might of been one.

Please don't misconstrue this as a combative post as that is not my intention, just a small rap on the knuckles and a reminder to all of us to look after the areas we are privileged to use and enjoy.

Cheers

Adam J
Old 15th December 2009, 08:14 PM

Philip,

All I can say is I hope that those who had a shot at you are perfect individuals.

A 4wd doing a few laps of the mound would cause less damage than the guy I saw bogged there, shifting a cubic meter of sand with his front wheels !!
Old 15th December 2009, 10:54 PM

Jason Mac,

I'm sure all the perfect people park elsewhere and walk so as not to further contribute to the already deteriorating conditions.

I don't get out there that often but it appears to be a very popular spot with usually at least 2 to 3 other vehicles there every time I have been. I'd imagine it would get a lot busier than that at different times. I'm pretty sure that all vehicles accessing the area over time contribute to the conditions. Definitely though the last few times I have visited it seems to have worsened.
Old 16th December 2009, 06:50 AM

I hardly think that a few more 4WDs are going to have a significant impact on the land there. And the area that a 4WD is most likely to thrive in is the "sand trap", that everyone already has to avoid anyway!

Brendon, I'm not sure if you were serious about parking further away, but I don't really see that as a practical/safe option. All the nearby areas are either no stopping, or are parked out early by the ATC employees. The Maccas and BP carparks have a time limit and the area opposite the helicopters is just too far to walk on a hot (or very cold) day.

Perhaps all that is needed is some temporary fencing similar to those in Kurt's first photo above, to clearly mark out the sandy area so that no one gets bogged again.
Old 25th August 2010, 08:36 AM

Angry Fool!!!

Have a go at this FOOL!!!

AND, what's worse, he was trying to jack up the front end (Bullbar) and the jack was only going into the soil/sand!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images

Last edited by Bernie P; 25th August 2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Bigger photo
Old 25th August 2010, 08:51 AM

Maybe spotters should just go and lynch that truck driver. Possibly fair enough driving straight through and down to the road, bu to try and trun on the obviously barely stable surface