Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 2nd August 2012, 11:49 AM

Default Air Canada 33 2/8/12

Hi all,

I have been watching AC33 YVR/SYD on flightaware for the past few hours as my parents are on the flight.

The flight left YVR nearly 4 hours late due to the late arrival of the first leg of AC33 from YYZ. Thus its arrival into SYD has been significantly delayed. Thats all well and good.

I notice however that tomorrows (Friday 3/8/12) arriving flight has left YYZ already, meaning that for around 30 minutes there were two aircraft using AC33 in the air at the same time. I was always of the impression that this could not be the case resulting in one of the flights needing to use a different flight number/call sign.

Can anyone advise if I am mistaken or if flightaware is not 100% accurate and todays arrival into SYD had actually landed before the departing flight from YYZ had actually took off.

Cheers

M

PS - If anyone is out there and got/gets a photo of AC33 arriving today it will be great if you can forward me a copy.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:55 AM

I would've expected it would only be a problem if they were in the same airspace, ie no problem as one was in eastern Canada & the other somewhere over the Pacific? But could be wrong!
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:01 PM

It's still the 1st August in Canada.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Brown View Post
It's still the 1st August in Canada.
I know that. Not a question of same flight numbers on same calendar dates. Rather same flight numbers in the air at the same time, regardless of their position on the globe.

I do suspect as Rowan suggested, their significantly different positions would be a reason for not needing to change flight numbers.

Or are you suggesting that its only a problem if there are two aircraft in the air with the same flight number when both those aircraft are in the same calendar day?

Cheers

M
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:22 PM

Hi Mark

I'm suggesting it's only an issue if the two aircraft will be operating close to each other in which case you'd see perhaps one would be ACA33D (D for delayed) or maybe ACA8033 to provide some differentiation. I'm not sure, I'm just thinking out loud really.

I can't see that it'd be about the date because (without thinking it through too well) that could present issues for the likes of QF1/2, QF5/6 etc...??? Again, just thinking out loud

Cheers
Rowan