Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 11th October 2013, 09:49 PM

Default Virgin Atlantic

Hi All,
I haven't posted on the board for sometime.
I am going to be travelling from Manchester (MAN) to Boston (BOS) via London (LHR) and wanted to know if anyone had any comments on Virgin Atlantic. I am planning on flying them to build up my velocity points etc.

Regards
David Sims
VK2HSS

VK2HSS
Old 14th October 2013, 03:07 PM

I've never been on a Virgin Atlantic flight personally, but I've had family travel with them a few times. They were happy with the customer service and had no problems.
Old 14th October 2013, 03:48 PM

I flying VS on Saturday from SYD to LHR. I too would like any feedback regarding their levels of service . I've read some pretty ordinary reports , although it's a bit late in the day now to change my plans . I'll certainly come on here next week and give you all an appreciation of my trip .
Dave C
Old 15th October 2013, 04:29 PM

We[3] did the return flight to London in May/June in Premium .All went well .The flights were on time & the transit stop in Hong Kong was very efficient. The cabin standard is ok but not as good as Qantas , i have limited flight experience. But we went Virgin Atlantic to save money,for 3 & overall the experience was ok. Only thing to watch is the online pre flight seat requests were changed putting us around the cabin & not in the 3 middle seats we booked. Seemed unnecessary & required some adjustment at the Heathrow check in .That was done but no explation why we were scattered . Access to the booking online was cut off until the 24 hours before departure from Heathrow .I tried many times to see our online booking but could not see it for the return.

Last edited by Danny G; 15th October 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 6th November 2013, 08:50 PM

I've just arrived in The UK having flown VS from SYD via HKG . We flew economy as price dictated , but purchased the exit row seats 31A/B for about $200 each , which proved to be money well spent . We had about 60" of leg room so stretching out there was no obstacles at all , far removed from the 31" seat pitch in the other economy class seats . There were many positives and some negatives overall . On the positive side , a big slap on the back to the check in staff and the cabin staff in general , easily the most friendly ever in all our long haul flights , which account for many . Nothing was too much trouble , all were very positive about the airline and genuinely appeared to be enjoying their jobs , which in turn translated into a good level of service . Well that's all the positives .. The othervside of the coin is that the food service was just about adequate at best . The food itself was quite good , there was just not enough of it , very small portion sizes , and long time gaps between servings . The IFE was OK , not the best but not the worst either , and it didn't crash , which seems to be the norm these days . There was no warm towels or even packaged refresh towels handed out , which I found odd . The seat cushioning was average , in other words , after a few hours the seat becomes very uncomfortable , but alas that seems to be the way it is these days . I haven't sat in a comfortable long haul seat in years . There is no " mood lighting " or LED sparkly star lighting , but that's all rubbish anyway and in no way makes a flight more comfortable . All in all we thought the service was good , the aircraft (A340-600) seating configuration good for us as a couple with it's 2-4-2 seating, but if you have a healthy eating habit you will go hungry .
It's the old old story , in that you " your money and take your choice " and at $1650 rtn to London it's reasonable value .. We fly back to SYD next week , so I'll be interested to make a comparison ..
Dave C