Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 8th July 2010, 01:42 PM

Default ADF Airshow 2010 - Williamtown

Now officially up on the RAAF website

Should be great!

http://www.airforce.gov.au/airshows/

Quote:
Defence Force Air Show 2010

18-19th September 2010
RAAF Base Williamtown

See the region’s biggest and most exciting air and ground displays ever by the Australian Defence Force and visiting allied aircraft.

The event features the latest in technology demonstrating the range of stimulating and different careers on offer in the ADF.
Old 8th July 2010, 02:16 PM

From the website:

Quote:
Expect to see:

•Air Force F-111s, F/A-18A/B Hornets, AP-3C Orions, C-130 Hercules, the big C-17 Globemaster, Hawk 127, the new F/A-18F Super Hornet, B737 Wedgetail and the spectacular Roulettes aerobatic formation display team;
•Navy Seahawk and Sea King helicopters, plus the famous Dancing Squirrels aerobatic helicopters and the new A109e Augusta;
•Historic warbirds including the Neptune and World War II Mustang, Spitfire, Meteor and Catalina;
•Civilian sports aircraft, including an appearance by the celebrated Red Bull Air Racer Matt Hall;
•Hands-on static displays, entertainment, bands and lots more.

Tickets
Where
From 1 Aug 10, tickets will be available from PROticket, on 1300 12 10 12 or from any ProTicket agency.

How much
Pre-purchased tickets: Adults $20; Children (5-15) $5; Family $46
At the gate on the day: Adults $25; Children (5-15) $5

(Family concessions will only be available through pre-purchased tickets and will not be available at the gate on the day).
Old 8th July 2010, 05:37 PM

Being that this airshow will be one of the last times we get to see the F-111, will there be any international visitors that will come along for this Special occasion? I checked the Thunderbirds website they are at Whiteman AFB performing on those dates so that is a pain in the A--.But anyone with some info what will come from abroad....
Old 8th July 2010, 06:54 PM

Apparently everyone will be sitting on the RAAF side which will be better than Avalon for photos and there will be some USAF visitors. There wont be a huge selection of aircraft due to the limited room. Also, the Wedgetail's will be closed as ID is required even for the RAAF to go onboard apparently. They're expecting 30,000 or so people :S Main training day is on the Friday and because there is limited flights on weekends all passengers are required to show their itinerary to access the terminal as theyre blocking roads I hear.
Old 8th July 2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
the spectacular Roulettes aerobatic formation display team
I'm sorry, lines like this crack me up!

The Roulettes were last spectacular when they had Macchi's. Until the drone of PT-6's is replaced with jet noise the Roulettes will be mediocre at best. The skills of the pilots is phenomenal, the planes are enough to bore even the most excited kid after having watched F-111's and Hornets do their thing.

Send a secondment out to one of the Hawk Squdrons for 7 jets, grab some flashy paint and make the ADF's premier aerial display team exciting again.

As for Williamtown, see you there!
Old 8th July 2010, 07:48 PM

I heard a (very unconfirmed) rumour about an F-22 out of Guam?
Old 8th July 2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
I heard a (very unconfirmed) rumour about an F-22 out of Guam?
The Asia-Pacific region is crawling with those right now, so distance is not that much a factor for the USAF not to!
Old 8th July 2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Y View Post
The Asia-Pacific region is crawling with those right now
True, although i'm not holding my breath. The same situation existed at the time of last years Avalon, with F-22s on deployment in the region, and nothing came of it. Apparently politics had a bit to do with it, or so i was told

I guess we can only hope...
Old 9th July 2010, 04:34 PM

I agree with you Craig its a bit embarsing when say the Thunderbirds or the Red Arrows come out here put on a show then you here the person over the PA say,and coming up next the Roullettes. yeah great.. hey can't we keep 9 of the F-111's,paint them red and white and get them to perform,that would be unreal.It would be a great bomb burst performed at the end of display with all of them doing there dump n burns..RAAF think about it.As for the Raptor i'll believe it when i see it,how many times have we been told that a B-2 is coming,or this and that will be here best to expect nothing.Why don't Malaysia or Singapore send a couple of things,im getting bored of seeing 15's and 16's being brought down by 135's from japan..
Old 9th July 2010, 05:28 PM

Interesting that they're charging for it. Townsville's airshow was free last year.

However, as far as airshows go, the RAAF Airshow's sh*t all over Avalon.

With regard to the Roulette's. I am lucky enough to have worked (and be trained) by former members of the Roulette's. I voiced my opinion on how after the Townsville Airshow last year, the Roulette's were seen as boring as batsh*t compared to the Thunderbirds, and asked why we couldn't have a similar display team.

The main problem is that the RAAF doesn't put enough funding or time into the Roulette's. All the members must train in their own time and often do the displays in their own time. The RAAF also gives them a very small budget for everything bar the flying. So you definitely won't see the Roulette's staying in 5 star hotels etc., when they're away for displays.

Compare that to say the Thunderbirds, they have a huge budget to work with, and they're an entirely seperate squadron where they're only focus is on doing these displays.

Until such time as the RAAF puts in more money, and they aren't cramming the guys up with other work, then we won't have a spectacular team like other Air Forces do.

Mick

Last edited by Mick F; 9th July 2010 at 05:36 PM.