Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 26th April 2012, 04:16 PM

Lightbulb Live 3D map of Sydney air traffic

Hi folks,

I would like to share that I have publicly launched the web front-end to Aviation Mapper:

Aviation Mapper <-- Live link here!

You will need the Google Earth Browser Plugin, but if you don’t have it already, you will be prompted to install it.

Hopefully once loaded, you will see Sydney airspace live in 3D with the actual planes on the map (out to about ~500km). One of the exciting features is that it has a ‘virtual cockpit’ mode so you can see what the pilot might see – this looks best during takeoff and landing! It also fuses the real-time aircraft RADAR stream with the ACARS (operations/performance/maintenance) messages sent to/from aircraft, and represents them spatially. To my knowledge, this has not been done before (and makes for a very interesting view of the airspace, and what/when those aviation ‘text’ messages are sent).

Additionally, there is a ‘launch’ video I put together by the threshold of the main runway at Sydney airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvg7WwzVldg

I am on the lookout for anyone that is keen to contribute to AvMap by sharing their own tracking feed. I would like to start by extending coverage to the entire country. A number of people have already kindly offered their feeds (both here and overseas), but there is still much space left to cover!

In addition, unfortunately I will have to take my own live feed offline today (owner's corporation doesn't like my antennas on the roof), so if you have any suggestions for sites, or existing feeds, up high near Sydney airport, they would be much appreciated!
Old 27th April 2012, 11:57 PM

Thank you for testing and providing feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
Firefox 12
Unfortunately this is the problem. I haven't figured out why, but the only combo that doesn't work well is OS X + Firefox. If you can, please try Safari/Chrome (although I hear it works best with the former).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
Suggestion also, if "trails" need more CPU - it might be wise to disable them by default.
This is a good point, however I'm operating under the assumption that most visitors will have fairly modern machines (and these can handle the trails just fine). It's more for people with laptops that wish to keep their hardware cool(er) after the first few minutes. Also - more importantly - the trails are eye candy I'd like to be opt-out

If you manage to test with the other browsers, please post your findings! Thanks again.