Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 6th January 2011, 06:56 AM

Default TRIP REPORT: Air New Zealand OOL-AKL-OOL (Photos + Video!)

Introduction

The time has come for my regular Christmas holiday away with my family. Mum & Dad purchased tickets around the start of April; we would be flying with Air New Zealand on NZ938 from OOL-AKL on the 12th of December and NZ937 from AKL-OOL on the 2nd of January. As we have previously flown Air New Zealand, and found the flights to be a great experience, there was no doubt that the airline would be our first choice when planning our next New Zealand holiday. This would be my first ever visit to Auckland Airport, and my first ever trip that inspired me to do a trip report, complete with photos and video!

Welcome to my 1st trip report! This will cover my very enjoyable Christmas holiday to New Zealand on NZ938 (OOL-AKL) and NZ937 (AKL-OOL). As I had been to New Zealand before, I had very high anticipations for the holiday overseas. The OOL-AKL-OOL route has been operated on for just over 11 years, although charters commenced just under 20 years ago, operated by Freedom Air, Air New Zealand’s ex-low cost subsidiary. In 1999, Freedom Air started scheduled services from the airport to New Zealand, making this the first ever international scheduled service from the Gold Coast. By the start of 2008, Freedom Air had expanded destinations from the Gold Coast to destinations such as Wellington, Christchurch, Hamilton and Dunedin. When Air New Zealand took over the helm in March 2008, they made the Gold Coast part of the Star Alliance network and served Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland and Hamilton with direct flights from Gold Coast Airport. Today, Air New Zealand only flies to Christchurch and Auckland direct from the Gold Coast, facing tough competition from Jetstar and Pacific Blue, especially on the OOL-AKL-OOL route. This trip report will show you the great service Air New Zealand offers for cheap fares, and how their amazing booking category system: Seat, Seat + Bag, The Works, and Works Deluxe, well, works. Please enjoy perusing through this trip report at your leisure.

NZ938
DATE: 12th December, 2010
AIRCRAFT: Airbus A320-232
SECTOR: Gold Coast (OOL) – Auckland (AKL)
SEAT: 21F
AIR NEW ZEALAND BOOKING CATEGORY: The Works
LOAD FACTOR: >90%
ETD/ATD (Gate, Local): 1030/1040
ETA/ATA (Gate, Local): 1630/1629

Gold Coast Airport is the first dedicated low-cost airport in Australia. It has a very modern terminal, thanks to the recent renovations, and has common-user check in desks. The renovations have really opened up the terminal...don’t even get me started on what the terminal was like before the big refurbishment started. As Jetstar and Virgin Blue are the most dominant carriers here, they have dedicated check-in desks at one end of the check-in hall. Tiger Airways has their own terminal (T2) situated ~5 minutes walking distance from the main terminal (T1). Other scheduled airlines to serve Gold Coast Airport are Airnorth, AirAsiaX, Air New Zealand and Pacific Blue.

Anyway, enough with the facts, let’s get on with the trip report. So, by 7:30 in the morning I was up, finishing breakfast and doing last minute checks on my luggage to make sure I hadn’t forgotten anything, while trying not to collapse with excitement. By 8:20, Mum was driving Dad and I to the airport.
Check-in was fast and efficient. Hardly anyone was in the queue when we arrived, so we didn’t have to wait very long. After being handed our departure cards and boarding passes at the check-in counter, we filled the departure cards out and then made our way through security and into the departure lounge. Gold Coast Airport is quite unique in having a universal security check for both domestic and international passengers on entry into the departure lounge. International passengers then have to make their way through the domestic departure lounge to international outbound immigration and screening before entering the international departure lounge. Makes sense, as they only have one formal terminal – not counting Tiger’s shed. So anyway, we got through initial security (did I mention I was randomly checked for explosives?) and saw that the line through to the international departure lounge was pretty long – 3 international flights (2 being operated by A330s) were boarding and leaving at around the same time period, as well as ours – Jetstar 239 to AKL, AirAsia X 2703 to KUL, and Jetstar 19 to KIX. We decided to just sit down for a while before we went through security. Naturally, I watched the aircraft taxi by.

Tiger Airways Airbus A320 VH-VNO.

At that moment, the queue was looking quite short, so we decided to just get the inbound security stuff over and done with. We got through without any problems, apart from Dad getting randomly checked for concealed objects.
So we made our way through the terrifying horror in the form of Duty Free, then out into the wilderness of the international departure lounge. Again I found a seat, and just relaxed, waiting for my flight.

My boarding pass.

Apparently I’m boarding at the time the aircraft is supposed to land. This would also be a good time to explain Air New Zealand’s booking category system for Tasman and Pacific flights. This system gives you a choice – you choose what you want for your economy ticket. There are four categories, each altering the price of your ticket;

Seat: You get a seat and a carry-on bag (up to 7kgs), and checked baggage up to 23kgs. Everything except movies is accessible on the IFE; you must pay to watch movies. Complementary refreshments are handed out. You must use your credit card or voucher for in-flight bites.
Seat + Bag: You get a seat and a carry-on bag (up to 7kgs), and checked baggage up to 23kgs. Everything except movies is accessible on the IFE; you must pay to watch movies. Complementary refreshments are handed out. You must use your credit card or voucher for in-flight bites.
The Works: You get a seat and a carry-on bag (up to 7kgs), and checked baggage up to 23kgs. Everything is accessible on the IFE unit, including movies. Complementary refreshments as well as a meal are handed out. After you’ve enjoyed your meal, you have the choice of ordering extra drinks, free of charge, from your seat. If you’re travelling with kids, you can request a Kids Meal at the time of booking, which comes with an activity pack.
The Works Deluxe: Premium check-in and access to the lounge before the flight. You get a seat and a carry-on bag (up to 7kgs), and 2 checked bags up to 23kgs each. Everything is accessible on the IFE unit, including movies. Complementary refreshments as well as a meal are handed out. After you’ve enjoyed your meal, you have the choice of ordering extra drinks, free of charge, from your seat. If you’re travelling with kids, you can request a Kids Meal at the time of booking, which comes with an activity pack. This option comes with extra personal space in-flight, as well as booking flexibility.

You can also Mix’n’Match these booking classes.

It really is an ingenious system that targets virtually all corners of the market for short to medium haul international sectors. Anyway, getting on with the trip report...

Gold Coast Airport Duty Free.

FIDS.

Busy international departure lounge.

AirAsia X Airbus A330-300 9M-XXF.

Jetstar Airways Airbus A320 VH-JQL.

After watching the action for a while, I saw my ride land. I was hoping so much that I wouldn’t get ZK-OJA for the third time in a row – I flew OOL-HLZ-OOL on it in 2008/9. Then the A320 - and the registration - came into view. Please...

Not a very good photo – and yes, I got OJA again. Darn!

Parking at Gate 7.

Gate 7.

The usual calls were made for passengers with infants, passengers seated in the back rows, etc. That didn’t stop people on the flight who didn’t have infants or were seated in the back rows from getting up and rushing to the gate before the aircraft would desert them. Boarding was quick and easy nonetheless, and I found my seat without any troubles. I had to lean forward a bit to see out my window, but that didn’t trouble me at all.

View from my seat, 21F.

Legroom shot. Air New Zealand have 30-33” pitch and 17” width for their economy seats in the A320.

Virgin Blue Boeing 737-800 VH-VUA.

This was my first time in the ANZ A320 since they were fitted with IFE seatback units. However, they didn’t seem to be working! Bugger! So my IFE would just be views out the window! Also, it seems that the monthly Kia Ora magazine was no longer in every seatback pocket – you had to ask a crew member for one. I heard this was a way to save weight. We pushed back 10 minutes late, the Crazy About Rugby safety demonstration was conducted (we only heard the sound, as the IFE units weren’t working), then quickly taxied for a Runway 32 departure.

Flight surface test.

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 6th January 2011, 06:58 AM

Nearing the end of taxiway C.

Lining up Runway 32; before takeoff!

I didn’t get any photos of the takeoff phase, which was pretty silly of me. Apologies to those of you who think I’m bad for that.

After takeoff with views of Coolangatta/Tweed.

OOL from the air.

Tweed Coast.

Byron Bay?

Ascending through some turbulent cloud layers.

Above the clouds, still quite turbulent.

The turbulence was light to moderate, and lasted for nearly the whole flight, but that didn’t stop the food from coming out! We had the lunch choice today; a beef salad or a ham & cheese turnover. Both came with a brownie and bread roll! Being the lover of hot food, I opted for the turnover. But it seems a lot of people liked turnovers, because they ran out when they came to my row! Oh well, I don’t mind beef salad.

Beef salad.

It turned out to be a rather nice meal. It was the perfect size, and the salad was rather tasty, as well as the beef. The bread roll worked nicely with the salad, and the brownie finished it off well at the end. The consistency of the flavours worked to – kidding, I’m not Matt Preston. Anyway, it was a good meal.

The crew came around with drinks a few minutes later, as well as handing out the arrival cards. I just had water. I noticed that alcohol wasn’t an option on this flight – is it only available on night flights?

I read my book for a while before continuing to take some more photos.

Cruising somewhere over the Tasman.

We started our descent into AKL around 20-25 minutes before we landed. The Captain said that the weather was fine with light south westerly winds (landing on runway 23L), and he expected us to arrive at the gate on time.

Descent over the western coast. Complimentary hard candies were handed out around this time.

First view of AKL whilst on downwind for 23L.

Another view of AKL.

Complete overview of AKL.]

Manukau & eastern suburbs.

Old 6th January 2011, 06:59 AM

Cloud shadows on the water.

Turning base.

Auckland city. You can just see Sky Tower!

Turning final.

Approach.

Final approach.

Wheels kiss the concrete.

Touchdown!

International terminal whilst rolling out.

Domestic terminal & southern hangars.

Air Tahiti Nui Airbus A340-300 F-OJTN. Later on I found out that this flight was cancelled.

Tail of Emirates Airbus A340-500 A6-ERC whilst parking.

And that ended NZ938! We were in Auckland at last! I would give the flight an 8/10 – the broken down IFE units were a shame, however the cabin crew were very cheerful to all the passengers and very professional in what they were doing. They also handed out $10NZD vouchers that could be used on any Air New Zealand flight or exchanged for 10 Airpoints dollars, which was very good of them. They even tried to fix the IFE units midflight, but unfortunately to no avail.

After we disembarked the aircraft, we followed the signs to the inbound screening. There are two duty-free stores right opposite each other just before you head to immigration, but at least you don’t have to go through them. Dad needed to go to the loo before we headed landside, so I found a highly reflective window and took some bad photos. :roll:

Air Pacific Boeing 737-800 DQ-FJG in front of an Emirates Airbus A380!

A couple of Air New Zealand 747-400s. The closest one is ZK-NBU.

After Dad came back from his toilet run, we headed through inbound screening with no trouble or delay and then found ourselves landside, marking the official start of our New Zealand adventure.

NZ937
DATE: 2nd January, 2011
AIRCRAFT: Airbus A320-232
SECTOR: Auckland (AKL) – Gold Coast (OOL)
SEAT: 20F
AIR NEW ZEALAND BOOKING CATEGORY: The Works
LOAD FACTOR: >90%
ETD/ATD (Gate, Local): 0900/0900
ETA/ATA (Gate, Local): 0930/0915

Well, after a really spectacular holiday (apart from an infected mosquito bite), it was time to leave the Land of the Long White Cloud and come back across the Tasman to Australia. I can’t say I wasn’t disheartened about this. I would have to wake up extremely early in the morning to make my Auckland flight, as we would have to drive from Tairua on the eastern side of the Coromandel peninsula to Auckland; around 2 hours driving time. Add that to the recommended ‘be at the airport 2 hours before departure time,’ and I was looking at waking up at 4 in the morning! But I love that early morning flight feeling; you just feel a lot more excited I guess...honestly, I don’t have a clue as to why I have these weird feelings sometimes.

Well, we piled into our rental car, and off we went to the City (more like Airport) of Sails. Checking in at Auckland Airport was rather slow, as only two counters were open and a few people were in line. I was keen to use the self-service kiosks, but Dad’s technophobe setting kicked in and we had to wait in line. The check-in agent told us we were boarding from Gate 1, and gave us our boarding passes. Apparently the self-service system melted down a few minutes after we went to the departures hall, so it was lucky that we queued for check-in.

My boarding pass.

Old 6th January 2011, 07:00 AM

After converting my New Zealand Dollars for US Dollars (for my Vietnam trip later this year), we went straight through outbound screening, only stopping because Mum forgot to get a liquid out of her carry-on and put it in her checked baggage before she checked in. It turned out to be Kiwi Willy Wash, a Christmas present for my Dad from his sister. Needless to say, it made everyone in earshot laugh their heads off, even the Customs Officers.
Once airside, Mum & Dad went to look at the shops, while I pulled up a chair next to 747-400 ZK-NBT, and watched a few other international aircraft taxi around. The reflective windows didn’t help the photos much.

Air New Zealand Boeing 747-400 ZK-NBT.

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCI.

Qantas Jetconnect Boeing 737-800 ZK-ZQC.

NetJets Gulfstream G-V N508QS takes to the skies.

Panorama of part of the airside departures hall.

Mum & Dad came back shortly afterwards, and we headed to the international pier.

We got some food from Burger King, if you could call it that. I was surprised that Auckland Airport doesn’t have a lot of choice of food airside. Apparently it’s all landside. Compare it to Sydney Airport, when you have fast food restaurants left, right, and centre. It seems that AKL only had a Burger King and expensive bars airside. But they still have at least three Whitcoulls stores around the international terminal. Oh well, it didn’t really affect me. I just appreciated what I got, really. But I didn’t just sit around and judge food all day, I also took photos!

Air New Zealand Boeing 747-400 ZK-NBV.

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCJ.

Cathay Pacific Airbus A340-300 B-HXH.

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCG. This aircraft was operating a scheduled VIP charter flight to Nagoya as NZ1921.

Air New Zealand Airbus A320 ZK-OJC.

After having some fun taking photos, I saw that ZK-OJD was being towed out of its stand-off bay. I wondered if this would be the aircraft that I was flying on today. Sure enough, it was towed into Gate 1, where I would be departing from. Yay, it’s not ZK-OJA!

My ride for today - Air New Zealand Airbus A320 ZK-OJD being towed to Gate 1.

We headed downstairs not long after to sit and wait for boarding.

Our flight.

Not long after we sat down, priority boarding calls were made. I must say, the lady who made the calls was very professional. She explained who she was going to call first, then a minute later, started calling those passengers up for boarding. It was pretty quick to board; all you had to do was walk down an aerobridge. Finding my seat again wasn’t too hard, and this time I had a very good view of the window. I didn’t have to lean forward at all!

View out the window. OJM is just being towed to the gate.

The IFE units were working this time, so I was very pleased!

Airshow on IFE unit.

Old 6th January 2011, 07:01 AM

After around 10 minutes of boarding, the doors were shut, the aircraft pushed back, the safety demonstration conducted (very funny!), the engines started, and the free pizza given out to every passenger. Just kidding about that last one. We started to taxi towards runway 23L.

Fire Rescue Training Aircraft Fuselage. Was Air New Zealand 767-200ER ZK-NBJ.

Domestic and International Terminals.

Managed to photograph this as we were lining up! Air New Zealand’s latest addition, 777-300ER ZK-OKM.

On takeoff roll.

Rotate!

Takeoff!

Over Manukau Harbour.

Airshow.

Flying through the clouds.

Turning over the western coast.

Looking over gorgeous beaches.

The takeoff run was very smooth, as well as the ascent. There was only minor turbulence whilst we were in that cloud, but when we got out of it, it was smooth sailing. Or flying, in this context. So I settled in my seat and decided to watch The Social Network. It was quite a good movie, and it was interesting to see how the Facebook we know today was created.

The Social Network.

Cruising over the Tasman - only scattered cloud.

Meals and complementary drinks were handed out around 40 minutes after takeoff. The options today were breakfast options; a chicken sausage with baked beans and scrambled eggs, with fruit, or a fruit salad bowl with yoghurt. Each meal came with a muffin. They ran out of the fruit salad bowl, but that didn’t worry me; I wanted the chicken sausage.

The meal: Chicken sausage with baked beans and scrambled eggs, with fruit and a muffin.

Old 6th January 2011, 07:01 AM

The food was quite good, although the baked beans could have been cooked a bit better. Apart from that, it was very tasty on the whole and filled my ravenous belly substantially!

I mainly spent the rest of the flight watching the movie, and also filling out the arrival card when it was handed out so there aren’t many cruise photos. But when we started to descend, I started taking some more photos.

Beginning to descend.

Complimentary hard candies were handed out around this time. The Captain came onto the PA and said that the weather around OOL was fine, with ENE breezes and that we would be at the gate 15 minutes early. We quickly descended for a visual approach to runway 14.

Airshow on IFE.

Descending under a layer of cloud.

IFE.

Big cloud!

Flying over a container ship.

Turning final near Surfers Paradise.

Watch video of landing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4v33Xslffg

Home at last! Parking at the gate.

The engines were switched off, and we disembarked via the rear stairs. The inbound screening took a while, partly due to the fact that the AirAsia X flight from KUL had just landed. Since we had to declare some items, we skipped the queue and all we had to do was let a cute beagle inspect our luggage for prohibited objects. We got out of the airport at around 10-ish and got a ride home with our neighbour.

In conclusion, my experience with Air New Zealand has been relatively good. My latest flight has probably been my best flight with them – IFE definitely helped make my flight more enjoyable. I would rate NZ937 as 9.5/10...if they did hand out pizzas, I’d give them a ten. :lol: What an awesome holiday! New Zealand truly is a wonderful place!

That ends my first trip report! Thankyou for reading this, if you managed to!

Old 6th January 2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Thoroughly enjoyed it Brock.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29-31MAR LAS-ANC/FAI-ANC-LAS AS
08-09APR LAS-SNA-LAS WN
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 6th January 2011, 07:38 AM

Thankyou very much Justin!

Old 6th January 2011, 07:42 AM

Great report Brock... Lots of great pics there as well!

I did have a little 'chuckle' though when I saw your boarding pass, and please, do not take it the wrong way! But, my cousin has a son named Brock as well, and he gets call, Little Mister Brock by his Grandmother, my aunt!! Thus my little chuckle!!!!

I have gone to AKL twice, and both were on EK, both on 77W. I can't wait to go again on the 388! I loved NZ when I was there.

Thanks for the TR!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 6th January 2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks for your response Bernie!

Hahahaha, no worries about the name on my boarding pass! What a funny coincidence!

Yes, New Zealand is a wonderful place! Next time I go, I'll try to get down to SYD to get on the EK A380. Fingers crossed!