Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 7th October 2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Isn't "lotterywest" a rather unfortunate logo to feature on the back of the Exmouth ambulance?
I think it's on the back of all WA Ambulances - They providing funding with the proceeds of the lotteries.

It surprises me that Qantas hasn't piped up and said the pilot diverted due to the injuries and NOT due to an issue with the aircraft. I would have thought they'd want it known that the aircraft is not an issue in this case. (Assuming that's the case)
Old 7th October 2008, 08:57 PM

Question M'aidez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
It surprises me that Qantas hasn't piped up and said the pilot diverted due to the injuries and NOT due to an issue with the aircraft.
Does "MAYDAY" signify that the a/c is imperilled or just that some urgent reason to descend/land exists even if the a/c is quite OK?
Old 7th October 2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
Does "MAYDAY" signify that the a/c is imperilled or just that some urgent reason to descend/land exists even if the a/c is quite OK?

That was my question!!!

I have just seen this "Mr O'Callaghan said he understood the incident was caused by "some sort of systems failure"."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...145345200.html

Karl O'Callaghan is the WA Police Commissioner

From http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2008...e/2008_38.aspx

Early reports indicate that three cabin crew and approximately 30 passengers sustained injuries, including about 15 with serious injuries, namely broken bones and lacerations.

So it would APPEAR that this was not weather related
Old 7th October 2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
That was my question!!!

I have just seen this "Mr O'Callaghan said he understood the incident was caused by "some sort of systems failure"."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...145345200.html

Karl O'Callaghan is the WA Police Commissioner

From http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2008...e/2008_38.aspx

Early reports indicate that three cabin crew and approximately 30 passengers sustained injuries, including about 15 with serious injuries, namely broken bones and lacerations.

So it would APPEAR that this was not weather related
so CAT isn't to do with the weather now?

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 7th October 2008, 09:38 PM

I think Andrew was saying that a "systems failure" has nothing to do with weather/CAT...
Old 7th October 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QF Release
Qantas is sending two aircraft to Learmonth from Perth to collect passengers and crew.

A B767 is due to arrive in Learmonth at 5.10pm local time and a B717 at 5.40pm. The aircraft are due to arrive back in Perth at 7.50pm and 8.35pm respectively.

Inquiries regarding passengers should be directed to Qantas on 1800 062 241 (in Australia).

Further information will be issued as soon as it is available.

Correction to media release (Q3829) issued at 5.10 pm

The A330-300 aircraft landed in Learmonth at 1.45pm (local time) and had been due to land in Perth at 2.10pm (local time).
Old 7th October 2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
I think Andrew was saying that a "systems failure" has nothing to do with weather/CAT...
Correct, that was my reading of what the WA cop said.

ATSB report will tell all with FACTS

Good old Montague always jumping down peoples throats
Old 7th October 2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Correct, that was my reading of what the WA cop said.

ATSB report will tell all with FACTS
Karl is a cop, not a/c investigator! he's about as reliable as the media saying its an A380.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 8th October 2008, 07:35 AM

Well I think he was quoted as saying it was an A320 OR A380 at first...

Now a few other details which may or maynot be true that have come out in various article this morning. Not sure how passengers know how many metres they fell.. Also one report saying the lights went out first..... Again by no means saying these are facts

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...70-661,00.html

"He said word spread among the passengers that the aircraft had plunged more than 3,000 metres in a matter of seconds."

“The people who were standing were the ones who got hurt the most. To be honest think it's a lesson in wearing seat belts.''

“I was strapped in. A few around me did not have seat belts on. They hit the roof and it was really quite nasty.''

Neither the ATSB nor Qantas would confirm that air turbulence was responsible.

An insider said the jet's flight computer may have "tripped", but Qantas discounted that explanation.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

The headline here was 'I thought we were going to die'......

He said his son had called him when the plane landed to tell him that the lights went out in the plane before passengers heard a loud bang and the aircraft suddenly dropped.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:39 AM

Default Vertical drop causes

The passenger reports coming out this morning all suggest that the aircraft just dropped vertically without warning, leaving passengers pinned against the ceiling only to be slammed down when the descent was arrested, wih some being injured by collapsing overhead compartments.

That kind of vertical drop does not sound like something that an a/c's control surfaces can trigger when it's travelling in level cruise at FL39 or thereabouts. It sounds more like some kind of microburst phenomenon or similar massive downdraft. Maybe the doppler wasn't working properly and didn't pick it up, or it was just a severe form of classic CAT.

With global warming I predict we are going to see an increasing number of incidents like these.