Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2008, 07:34 PM

What percentage of the entire airline experience for an 'average' or 'regular' flyer is going to be spent looking at the paint job? The timeframe for curb-to-curb could be between 2.5hrs and 27+hrs. I think a MAXIMUM of 1hour would realistically be spent looking at the livery. I agree this is a moment where the business may lose cred for their brand, but the instant they step inside the craft a new first impression will be made my the crew.

Presentation of the interior of aircraft or inside FF or First lounges might take a higher priority than paint jobs on the outside of a/c as these are places where a bigger impact on the customers perception of their airline experience can be made. If you are going to focus resources it would be clever to pay special attention to places that create the biggest benefit to the busniness.

What do you think top tier frequent flyers would think about the exterior of an aircraft? They already have so much invested in their account with the airline to worry about the outside of the plane imho. They receive a list of benifits for their loyalty. If they had to pay more or receive less for their points in exchange for a sparkling livery every flight, would they be disgruntled? They would probably want more bang for their buck elsewhere... more free flights, nicer amenities in terminals, more checked baggage allowance, more upgrades with points. I am not a top tier FF so my opinion can't be taken with too much weight. Having said that I think I am close to the mark.

Should I mention oil prices? I think it is amazing QF is still investing in their future considering the economic climate at the moment. Inseat air-to-ground msn messenger for a small cost per session on A380 a/c as well as seat to seat messaging, seat to ground sms and webmail. Cutting capacity is risky. It does lower fuel bills but might also lower market share. Someone somewhere is doing their numbers and I believe they are doing them well.

The business has other mechanisms to create and continue its premium airline brand... print and tv media, charity sponsorship, QF website. QF also align itself with high quality producers and designers like Marc Newson, Niel Perry, Collette Dinnigan, Akira Isogowa, Payot Paris, Morrissey, Korner, Recaro, Panasonic, Noritake, Allessi, Calendar Cheese Company, Joseph Olive Oil, Mana From Heaven, Maggie Beer the list goes on and on.
"Qantas has been recognised as having the Best First Class Cellar in the prestigious 2008 Cellars in the Sky Awards. The airline also won the Best Business Class Sparkling award and a special award for Consistency of Wines Across Business and First, building upon the success of the airline in 2005 when it won the award for Best First and Business Class Wine List and in 2007 when it won the award for Most Original First Class Wine List. The award, judged by a panel of wine experts for Business Traveller and Wine International magazines in London, recognised the airline's commitment to its inflight wine program and the quality of Australian wines." (from QF website) These partnerships and initiatives are all about benifit to the customer.

There is a bigger picture sometimes. I agree it would make for a beautiful photo everytime if their aircraft were shiny every day. I think we are all alike in this forum. We have a passion for this exciting industry in some form or another. Perhaps we notice more than the average or frequent flyers? Or we form our opinions or perceptions on a brand in a unique way.

Last edited by Eli B; 4th October 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 4th October 2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli B View Post
Or we form our opinions or perceptions on a brand in a unique way.
Spot on Eli. If one had to form an opinion from behind the fence so to speak, it would be purely extrinsic - which is where most of us spotters spend our time! But as you stated, there's a bigger picture.
Old 11th October 2008, 03:06 PM

I think they're just too lazy to send their planes to the paintshop, strip the old paint off and repaint them maybe because it costs alot of money or because they need all their aircraft for service. So expect OGD and OEB to be the only existing Qantas planes on the new livery, some Dash 8's and 717's. I think OEJ and VXB will always retain their special schemes. But all 737's with TJ, VX and VY regos will probably remain in the old livery.
Old 12th October 2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. View Post
But all 737's with TJ, VX and VY regos will probably remain in the old livery.
I doubt it. I'd say QF will eventually update the livery on the whole fleet but as it is not a high priority they would properly wait for each aircraft to have a D check. So it could be around 5-6 years before the entire fleet is repainted.

Jason
Old 13th October 2008, 12:29 AM

Paint will last on a aircraft for 8-10 years.
Old 13th October 2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers View Post
I doubt it. I'd say QF will eventually update the livery on the whole fleet but as it is not a high priority they would properly wait for each aircraft to have a D check. So it could be around 5-6 years before the entire fleet is repainted.

Jason
Exactly - same as the likes of Delta and UA. I am sure Delta still have a few aircraft with the old widget on them.
Old 14th October 2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt N. View Post
Some of the BA 744s paint jobs look pretty grotty at the moment. In Heathrow earlier this year I recall seeing quite a few that around the tail was all flaked off and it did look pretty rubbish, but a peeling paint job rates pretty low on the care factor scale to be honest. Not the best example but you can see what I mean here:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Briti...436/1401085/M/

The 777 that was in a few pieces out in the open (as a result of the crash a few weeks prior) and viewed from your window seat during taxi was a little more disturbing than something as superficial as a flakey paint job.
One issue that QF has with their colour scheme is that Red in particular is suceptible to fading a lot more than all other colours. A price they pay having such a distinctive scheme.
Old 14th October 2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
One issue that QF has with their colour scheme is that Red in particular is suceptible to fading a lot more than all other colours. A price they pay having such a distinctive scheme.
Same with VB aircraft VBJ is going pink on the upper part of the fuselage, and VBI is another one that springs to mind as having shocking paint with most have flaked off the rivets.

I would like to see the red on VB aircraft replaced with silver or white.
Old 14th October 2008, 06:31 PM

DJ aircraft have had some paint protection done to them. There was a article in Australian Aviation.
Old 15th October 2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Same with VB aircraft VBJ is going pink on the upper part of the fuselage, and VBI is another one that springs to mind as having shocking paint with most have flaked off the rivets.

I would like to see the red on VB aircraft replaced with silver or white.
Red is the worse colour in a country like Australia. It retains heat and fades really bad in our harsh sunlight.