Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 3rd January 2012, 06:03 PM
Prolific Member

Anyone know if the nose gear stickers from around the world are still on any of the Concordes? There was one running around with a "Kendell Airlines - The big country airline" sticker for a while. The same bird had a kangaroo hazard road sign sticker on it, one from Fiji and one from Hawaii amongst a few other stickers.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ramsay View Post
There is one (G-BOAD) at the Intrepid Museum in New York, I was there yesterday.

Again you can't go inside it, though.
This isn't correct... you simply have to ensure you go at times it is open or better still, do the tour.

If it is available for general viewing, you will only be able to walk through the forward section where the seats are protected by perspex. Entry is via the mid-cabin door and exit is at the front.

If you do the tour, you will sit in the rear section seats (which are open, as the general public isn't permitted back there except on the tours) and get to go into the cockpit. When I did the tour in May, I was the last one to file into the cockpit and therefore last one off - the guide happily invited me to close the forward cabin door myself (so it definitely "touchable").

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/The-In.../Concorde.aspx

Kieran, I wouldn't say it was in bad condition.

I haven't been to Duxford since 2001. At that time their Concorde was open for general viewing and you could walk from the front to the back, but not sit in any seats. You could see the cockpit, but not get right into it. Their website suggests this is still the case - saying the aircraft is open from 11am to 3pm, but suggests visitors call to confirm hours.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/airspace

Last edited by Robert S; 8th January 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:41 AM

Default East Fortune - Scotland

Folks, there is a static display of the Concorde inside a hangar at the Museum of Flight, East Fortune Airfield in East Scotland, half an hour or so from Edinburgh. You can board the aircraft and travel through the cabin. At the time of my visit some areas of the floor were removed so visitors could see the hold area.

The Concorde aircraft was G-BOAA and the aircraft on display is the original aircraft without the return to service mods required after the Paris accident.

The visit is a tour / experience including a short film, walk around the exterior and also, an engine on display. You then finally board the aircraft. The cockpit was roped off at the time of my visit.

The museum has many other aircraft on display including a 707 and Nimrod forward fuselage.

See http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/museum_of_flight.aspx