Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 7th January 2017, 07:51 PM

Default Qantas Singapore Lounge

Dumb question, and I'm fairly certain of the answer, but just need to seek some confirmation.

I'm going to fly CX from SIN to HKG in a couple of month's time in business class. Can I use the Qantas lounge?
Old 8th January 2017, 09:33 AM
Prolific Member

Assuming the following caveats the answer is yes:

1. You have status that gives you one world lounge entry or are travelling business class, ie QF Gold or higher. If you are a QF Club member, no access unless you are flying QF or JQ http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...global/en#show
2. The Cx flight departs at a time after 3PM, the lounge opens at 1430

As you are flying J you can access any OneWorld lounge, the CX option at Singapore is average so hopefully it's a flight that departs when the QF lounge is open. Also note they don't call the flights and you will need to allow some time for the walk, as CX flights tend to depart the pier most distant from the lounge.

Last edited by MarkR; 8th January 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 8th January 2017, 10:28 AM

Thanks Mark. My flight depart at 4:30pm. The lounge opens at 2pm.
Old 12th January 2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Assuming the following caveats the answer is yes:

1. You have status that gives you one world lounge entry or are travelling business class, ie QF Gold or higher. If you are a QF Club member, no access unless you are flying QF or JQ http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...global/en#show
2. The Cx flight departs at a time after 3PM, the lounge opens at 1430

As you are flying J you can access any OneWorld lounge, the CX option at Singapore is average so hopefully it's a flight that departs when the QF lounge is open. Also note they don't call the flights and you will need to allow some time for the walk, as CX flights tend to depart the pier most distant from the lounge.
Just for the record. If you have One World Saphire status you can use ANY One World business lounge and if you have One World Emerald then you can use ANY One World Business or First Class lounge (with a couple of specific exceptions)

However when flying on a One World airline in first and business without status you are only ENTITLED under One World rules to use the lounge the airline provides. However some airlines, Qantas and Cathay are two such examples, are kind enough to allow any One World first and business passengers in. But other airlines, and BA is one of them only allow First and Business class passengers (without status) flying on BA in.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:44 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post

However when flying on a One World airline in first and business without status you are only ENTITLED under One World rules to use the lounge the airline provides. However some airlines, Qantas and Cathay are two such examples, are kind enough to allow any One World first and business passengers in. But other airlines, and BA is one of them only allow First and Business class passengers (without status) flying on BA in.
Sorry but that is not correct. OneWorld actually promote the fact you have more lounges to chose "Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline".

With One World you have always been able to access a OW business lounge flying business and any OW first lounge flying first regardless of status with very few exceptions. With BA it's important to note their Concorde facilities are not considered part of the One World Lounge network (neither are third party operated lounges like QF in BKK) so that's the Concorde rooms at LHR and JFK and the Concorde Bar in SIN that are off limits to non status F pax and status pax not flying BA. At Doha, it's almost the opposite, with F passengers getting access to the Al Safwa F lounge but not status passengers unless they are in F. Luckily there is a F lounge as well open to all.

The only other exception is AA, for domestic flights, flights to Canada, Mexico and Caribbean (some exclusions including some transcon routes etc).

It's a confusing situation thanks to a couple of rogue lounges, if you look at the departure point on the One World site it will tell you where you can go quite clearly, non third party lounges clearly say "access for any passenger travelling on ANY OneWorld airline".

Last edited by MarkR; 12th January 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 13th January 2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry but that is not correct. OneWorld actually promote the fact you have more lounges to chose "Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline".

With One World you have always been able to access a OW business lounge flying business and any OW first lounge flying first regardless of status with very few exceptions. With BA it's important to note their Concorde facilities are not considered part of the One World Lounge network (neither are third party operated lounges like QF in BKK) so that's the Concorde rooms at LHR and JFK and the Concorde Bar in SIN that are off limits to non status F pax and status pax not flying BA. At Doha, it's almost the opposite, with F passengers getting access to the Al Safwa F lounge but not status passengers unless they are in F. Luckily there is a F lounge as well open to all.

The only other exception is AA, for domestic flights, flights to Canada, Mexico and Caribbean (some exclusions including some transcon routes etc).

It's a confusing situation thanks to a couple of rogue lounges, if you look at the departure point on the One World site it will tell you where you can go quite clearly, non third party lounges clearly say "access for any passenger travelling on ANY OneWorld airline".
Again you are miss reading it. One World says you have access to a lounge when flying on ANY one world airline it does not say that you have access to ANY lounge. Subtle but key difference.

Open up BAs lounge access rules and you will see without status you MUST be flying BA or have status to get into a ba lounge. And not talking the concord lounge it is any BA lounge.

Finair the same. Must be flying Finair business or oneworld sapphire or emerald.

Iberia ditto with couple exceptions.

Further look at the link below and notice the subtle language difference when they explain status and class of travel access.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Last edited by Ash W; 13th January 2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:47 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Again you are miss reading it. One World says you have access to a lounge when flying on ANY one world airline it does not say that you have access to ANY lounge. Subtle but key difference.

Open up BAs lounge access rules and you will see without status you MUST be flying BA or have status to get into a ba lounge. And not talking the concord lounge it is any BA lounge.

Finair the same. Must be flying Finair business or oneworld sapphire or emerald.

Iberia ditto with couple exceptions.

Further look at the link below and notice the subtle language difference when they explain status and class of travel access.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
No, not misreading it at all, just going on what I read and experience. I regularly have accessed BA and Finnair lounges whilst travelling with another airline in F. Even AUSBT and others state the OneWorld benefit of flying any airline:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/how-to-get-...s-class-lounge

https://www.ausbt.com.au/finnair-dom...lsinki-airport

I am a lowly lifetime Gold with QF so it's not my status that's opening doors, at least not the F lounges .
Old 13th January 2017, 08:49 AM

I suppose I'll find out when I get to the airport. It doesn't hurt to ask on the day. If BA won't let me into their lounge on my CX boarding pass, I'll just go into the QF Lounge and the Dnata Skyview Lounge, which CX uses.
Old 13th January 2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
No, not misreading it at all, just going on what I read and experience. I regularly have accessed BA and Finnair lounges whilst travelling with another airline in F. Even AUSBT and others state the OneWorld benefit of flying any airline:
Think you will find the rules change in 2013, about the time Qatar joined.

As mentioned note the subtle language difference on the OneWorld website between OneWorld status access and class of service access.

And

BA's access rules:

"Lounge access is available to:

Silver and Gold Executive Club Members on a flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
Emerald and Sapphire level Members of any oneworld airline frequent flyer programme on a flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
British Airways customers flying in business or first class"

Finair business lounges:

Free of charge for Finnair Business Class customers and Finnair Plus Platinum and Gold members (+ one guest with Finnair Plus Platinum or Gold cardholders), and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire cardholders (+ one guest), when the departure flight is operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Finair premium: (seems like essentially a Emerald lounge as Finair doesn't offer first class)

Available exclusively for Finnair Plus Platinum and Gold members (+ one guest), and oneworld Emerald cardholders (+ one guest), when the departure flight is operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Iberia, business and first on Iberia group (assume that includes BA but not clear)

Qantas, JAL, CX, LATAM, first/business from any OneWorld airline.

Qatar, other OneWorld airlines except in their first lounge in London and Qatar.

AA, bit complex.

RJ, MH, S7, Sri Lankan don't really say.
Old 13th January 2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan N View Post
I suppose I'll find out when I get to the airport. It doesn't hurt to ask on the day. If BA won't let me into their lounge on my CX boarding pass, I'll just go into the QF Lounge and the Dnata Skyview Lounge, which CX uses.
In your case, QF will allow CX passengers. But hey if you are in the airport and the BA lounge is open give it a try and let us know if you get in.