Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 12th July 2010, 06:57 PM

Default Domestic flights in America?

Just interested to know which airlines and/or aircraft types have personal tv's in economy class on their domestic routes?

Thanks.
Old 12th July 2010, 07:18 PM

Virgin America do on 319/320's, and IMHO have the best product in the states. Jetblue also have PTV's

Old 12th July 2010, 09:24 PM

Second the call for VX, terrific domestic Y product in a market where the standard is abysmal. JB is also quite good.

Because 'domestic' routes in North America are served by a huge variety of aircraft and different routes have different service levels, you could have more options on certain routes if you could share some of your planned flights.

None of the legacy carriers (AA, UA, DL, CO, AS) have PTVs on 'domestic' aircraft (and many aircraft, such as AA's MD-80s, don't have any IFE whatsoever) but certain trunk routes have international aircraft operating on them, and these could be your best bet for PTVs. You will generally be charged for a headset, even for overhead IFE.

For AA, think LAX-DFW/MIA/ORD. UA's look something like LAX and SFO-IAD/DEN/ORD, CO and DL are less clearcut but many routes in and out of IAH/EWR and ATL/MSP/DTW respectively have the heavy metal on them.

DL are fitting PTVs, or have finished doing so, on their 757 fleet (barring the ex-NW 753s). CO plan similarly but as far as I know, they've not done anything.
Old 13th July 2010, 01:24 AM
Administrator

I flew on a DL 738 from JFK to LAS in February and there were PTVs in every seat. You had to pay to watch them, but the flight map was free.

JetBlue's PTVs are free if you bring your own headphones.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29-31MAR LAS-ANC/FAI-ANC-LAS AS
08-09APR LAS-SNA-LAS WN
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 13th July 2010, 11:09 AM

I am currently in the States, so have taken 3 flights with Jetblue. I have found them quite good as you get the first bag free, free drinks and snacks, and plenty of legroom. I paid a little extra, and you are talking about 38 inch legroom. I flew a long flight from the west coast to washington, almost 5 hours, so with the PTV you can watch some entertaining stuff.

I do suggest them over any of the other airlines, as it seems the only airline to give decent service. I have not tried VX but what they wanted for extra legroom was a complete rip off!
Old 13th July 2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lazaroff View Post

JetBlue's PTVs are free if you bring your own headphones.
Or you can buy them for $2. Cash at the airport, or credit on the plane. The plane is only credit card so if you want beer or anything they dont accept cash.
Old 14th July 2010, 08:00 PM

CO has Live2Air just like JetBlue. It is available on their newer planes such as 739s, 738s and 753s. I was in first class and it was free. I believe it is USD5 in Y. This product is similar to DJ's Foxtel offering but is widescreen and has more channels.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:39 PM

Can anyone comment on Alaskan airlines service? I'll be flying from Seattle to either SFO/LAX in MAy next year and have offers for them or American Airlines.. Must admit whilst in Seattle will be heading to Boeing/Paine Field. Anyone got any good info on that?

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 14th July 2010, 10:39 PM

I flew Delta in June and they had them on B757 for $5.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Wells View Post
Can anyone comment on Alaskan airlines service? I'll be flying from Seattle to either SFO/LAX in MAy next year and have offers for them or American Airlines.. Must admit whilst in Seattle will be heading to Boeing/Paine Field. Anyone got any good info on that?
I flew with AS from DCA-LAX back in March. Their service was friendly and efficient, and I also got the exit row free (which was fantastic because due to weather, we had to fly over Dallas, making the trip 6hrs in a 738 ). I'd happily fly with AS again. I haven't flown with AA, so can't comment on a comparison.

In terms of Seattle, PAE is a fair way outside the city, so you'll probably want to hire a car. Seeing as you're under 25 like me, this could be a bit pricey. Even though you can't take photos, the tour of PAE was AMAZING, and at less than US$20, it's a bargain! PAE has very few movements (at least, there were very few while I was there), so BFI is the way to go for spotting. Check out the museum at BFI as well, really interesting!

SEA is also fairly (dare I say it) boring for spotting, at least in comparison to SFO and LAX. There are, however, a couple of interesting arrivals, most notably Icelandair 752s.

Hope you enjoy the trip, Kieren. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!