Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 26th November 2011, 03:30 PM

Default 7 hour flight spent standing

As seen on yesterday's Sydney Daily telegraph on page 43, it says that a passenger had to stand for seven hours during a flight because the man sitting next to him was so morbidly obese.
Arthur Berkowitz, 56, said that his 181kg neighbour on US Airways Flight 901 from Anchorage to Philadeiphia made it impossible for him to get into his seat.
The obese man spilled over into Mr Berkowitz's personal space and he could not move seats as the plane was full, so he was forced to stand up.
He said the obese man was very apologetic: "The first thing, he said to me was, I want to apologise-I'm your worst nightmare".
Mr Berkowitz added that his ordeal in July presented a safety risk because he could not use his seatbelt for take off and landing.
Ï didn't fly from Alaska to Philadeiphia on Flight 901" Mr Berkowitz stood.
"His size required both arm-rests to be raised up and allowed for his body to cover half of my seat"
Mr Berkowitz said he thought had spare seat at first but before the door closed the airline asked the late-boarding overweight passenger to sit down next to him on last empty seat.
Mr Berkowitz said a young exchange student in the same row was "pinned up against the window" because there was so little space.
Flight Attendents said they could not help Mr Berkowitz as he was not allowed to sit in jump seats.
"They were sympathetic but couldn't do anything" he said "No other seats existed on the plane"
Mr Berkowitz claims they admitted their gate agent had made an error in allowing the obese passenger to board without having purchased two seats together.
US Airways had apologised for the "regrettable" incident in a letter to Mr Berkowitz.
Öur intention is to offer the best travel experience possible. The details you have provided indicate that we have failed to meet our intentions" the airline said.
It offered Mr Berkowtz a $200 voucher in compensation-rejected as "inappropriate" after he had paid more than $800 for the ticket.
Mr Berkowitz also complained that the airline had not yet fixed the safety issue.
Mr Berkowitz, who has been flying with US Airways for 50 years, said he raised the issue in public becuse he wanted the airline and authorites "to develop a policy on safety".

Hope, it,s interest you all.

Regards,

Cliff Cook
Old 26th November 2011, 04:32 PM

Why was he aloud to fly while he was standing.How many rules were broken.atleast he wouldnt get dvt
Old 26th November 2011, 08:18 PM

Somehow I dont think he was standing - at least not upright - as Craig said, that in itself would have broken both Airline and FAA rules, not to mention the lack of a seatbelt.

There was a report a few years back in the US of an obese person who had bought 2 tickets. The airline duly gave two boarding passes - but the seats were separated by the aisle!!!
Old 26th November 2011, 10:53 PM

Haha just like in 'Come Fly With Me'.
Old 27th November 2011, 08:06 AM

Default US Airways

Only in the USA...

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 27th November 2011, 11:25 AM

He should have pointed out to an FA that he's unable to use his SeatBelt. That would have forced something to be done.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:49 PM

thats what extension belts are for
Old 28th November 2011, 06:12 AM

Andrew my reading of the article above is the person that couldn't use his seat belt was Mr Berkowitz, because the other passenger was so big, so no extension would help in this case.