Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2008, 01:13 PM

Default QF Transfer at LAX

Hi.

Next June, I'll be arriving at LAX on QF93 from MEL and then flying to JFK on QF107. With only 95 minutes transit time, I'm a little worried about re-checking luggage and making the next flight.

Does anyone know if Qantas use the same terminal for these flights and if so, how far the distance might be between the two gates?

Cheers,

Ryan.
Old 8th November 2008, 01:35 PM

Hi Ryan,

Here's what I could find on the QF website:

Los Angeles Airport Terminal Changes from 1 October 2008

Terminal changes occurred at Los Angeles Airport for selected Qantas flights effective 1 October 2008, as follows:

Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT):

* All Qantas operated non-stop flights to and from Sydney, Melbourne (QF93/94) and New York (JFK) operate from this terminal. Check in at the Qantas counters.
* Qantas codeshare flights to and from Fiji operate from this terminal. Check in at the Air Pacific counters.
* Qantas codeshare flights to and from Tahiti operate from this terminal. Check in at the Air Tahiti Nui counters.
* Mexicana (MX) codeshare services.

Link:http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...rportGuide/lax

So you'll arrive at the Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal, and QF107's JFK leg will depart from the same terminal. That is definitely a plus for you because that 95minute transit time is a bit tight.
The only experience I've had transitting in LAX was a flight I did from SYD-LAX-SFO. After arriving in LAX, I had to go through the usual process:
Immigration-> Baggage collection -> Customs -> place bags at a special place if connecting onto another flight (this is only if you've already had your bags tagged on through to your final destination) -> check-in for my connecting flight -> Security screening -> Boarding connecting flight.

I'm not sure if your transit will be a more time-efficient process since both flights are QF operated. Others may be able to give a more accurate answer.
Old 8th November 2008, 01:36 PM

You might want to look at this link....http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...rportGuide/lax
..Paraphrasing the bit relevant to your trip.....

Tom Bradley International Terminal
Qantas operated non-stop flights to and from Sydney, Melbourne (QF93/94) and New York (JFK) operate from this terminal.

From this, it would appear that your flights arrive/depart from Tom Bradley International Terminal so no terminal change required...Personally, I have done the MEL - LAX transferring to an AA flight to SFO last July 4th and missed my connection due to late arrival into LAX. It was no easy task getting re-scheduled onto a flight on a US Public Holiday...Needless to say it appears your connection should be quite smooth
Old 8th November 2008, 02:29 PM

I'm pretty sure you can check your bags all the way through and not have to go through customs until NY evn though you'll be swapping flights.
Old 8th November 2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
I'm pretty sure you can check your bags all the way through and not have to go through customs until NY evn though you'll be swapping flights.
All bags must be collected and then rechecked at a special area just after customs, even if they are tagged all the way through.

95 mins should be fine, just make sure when you get off the plane you walk fairly fast and pass alot of the people before arriving at Immigration.

Immigration is shocking at LAX, depending on the number flights they are processing. Normally takes about 30 mins just to get through Immigration, some times alot longer. I've seen 3 flights arrive and they only have 4 people on the Immigration desks, took me over 1.5 hours that time.
Old 8th November 2008, 04:31 PM

I did that same connection a few weeks ago... connecting from the first A380 QF93 flight.

Its not a problem because Qantas has a list of passengers that are connecting to QF107 in the connections area, so they make sure that you make it to QF107. I guess the only time where they won't hold QF107 is if QF93 is running really late.
Old 8th November 2008, 06:33 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

The last three time I have been on the 107 you have to go through immigration, claim your luggage and drop it at the security screening right next door. You then go upstairs to go throught the personal security check, then you can then go straight to your gate, they are all relatively close. The QF flights from Australia typically use the first two or three gates (41, 43A or 43B). The return 108 normally uses Gate 48.

Airline Code Phone
American Airlines AA (800) 433-7300
American Eagle AA (800) 433-7300
Cathay Pacific CX 882 Arrivals CX (800) 233-2742
Cathay Pacific CX 884 Arrivals CX (800) 233-2742
QANTAS QF (800) 227-4500

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 8th November 2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 8th November 2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
The QF flights from Australia typically use the first two or three gates (41, 43A or 43B). The return 108 normally uses Gate 48.
The Sydney, Melbourne (non-stop) and JFK flights no longer use Terminal 4. They now use TBIT and the flights that previously used TBIT have been moved to T4.
Old 8th November 2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
The last three time I have been on the 107 you have to go through immigration, claim your luggage and drop it at the security screening right next door. You then go upstairs to go throught the personal security check, then you can then go straight to your gate, they are all relatively close. The QF flights from Australia typically use the first two or three gates (41, 43A or 43B). The return 108 normally uses Gate 48.
Except they have now moved the JFK and Syd flights next door to Tom Bradley. But as others have pointed out it should be ok and Qantas will do what they can to get you through.
Old 8th November 2008, 07:20 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Thank you, LAX need to update their web site.