Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 10th June 2008, 11:56 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default Hawaiian expanding its interisland fleet

Quote:
Hawaiian Airlines has announced that it will expand its interisland fleet with the addition of four Boeing 717-200 aircraft to better meet the needs of Hawaii’s interisland travelers in the wake of the shutdown of Aloha Airlines on April 1.

Two of the aircraft are expected to enter service in September, while the remaining two will join the fleet in November and December, respectively. The additions, all being acquired on long-term leases from Boeing Capital Corporation, will increase Hawaiian’s interisland fleet of Boeing 717-200 aircraft to 15.

Mark Dunkerley, president and chief executive officer, said, “This substantial investment in more interisland aircraft reaffirms Hawaiian’s long-term commitment to serving the people of Hawaii, and will allow us to increase our flight schedules during periods of the day that our customers prefer to travel.”

Hawaiian currently operates a total of 150 interisland flights daily between the islands of Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Hawaii.

The Boeing 717, with its operational capabilities and fuel efficiency, is an ideal match for the interisland market. “We’re delighted to be able to support the expansion of Hawaiian’s 717 fleet as the airline responds to the community’s air travel needs,” said Jordan Weltman, vice president, Americas region, Boeing Capital Corporation.

To meet immediate community needs in the wake of Aloha’s collapse, Hawaiian expanded its interisland flight schedule by flying a long-haul Boeing 767-300 widebody aircraft between Honolulu and Maui as well as by flying an additional 717 usually held in reserve as a ‘spare’ aircraft to cover scheduled flying in the event of a delay. Hawaiian will continue these operations until the additional 717 aircraft arrive to make sure that seats remain available for interisland travelers.

Hawaiian also began recruiting flight crews and additional ground staff to support its expanded interisland operations immediately after Aloha’s closure. To date, Hawaiian has hired 230 additional employees, a majority of whom are former Aloha employees, and is seeking to fill an additional 160 positions, including pilots, flight attendants, maintenance technicians, contract service and line service positions.

“The performance of Hawaiian’s employees during our rapid expansion over the past two months has been nothing short of phenomenal, and a true inspiration to me,” Dunkerley said. “We all know how important air transportation is to Hawaii, and their dedication to our community has really shone through these past several weeks. I want to publicly thank them for their remarkable efforts and let everyone know that we have wasted no time in recruiting more people to support our larger operation.”

In addition to its fleet of 717s used in Hawaii, Hawaiian also operates a fleet of 18 wide-body, twin-aisle Boeing 767-300 aircraft on 16 flights daily to 14 destinations outside Hawaii.
-eTravel
Old 11th June 2008, 12:12 PM

They need those planes ASAP as well!
Old 11th June 2008, 12:56 PM

the cycles on these things must be enormous...I'd be interested in what difference maintenance they'd have to carrry out on their fleet....most interisland flights are 30 minutes long at most....I'm assuming it can't be the best for the engines when they are started and shut down every 40 minutes or so...
Old 11th June 2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
the cycles on these things must be enormous...I'd be interested in what difference maintenance they'd have to carrry out on their fleet....most interisland flights are 30 minutes long at most....I'm assuming it can't be the best for the engines when they are started and shut down every 40 minutes or so...
Hmmm yep the 717 fleet have a HARD life

Top of my head, without checking the HA website, at least 12 flights a day in each direction between OGG and HNL. Flight time is 33-37 mins, with around a 35 min turnaround!

Good old(new) Boeing workhorses
Old 11th June 2008, 08:19 PM

Default Hawaiian

I think the 717s they are getting might be the ones that are currently in storage here in Adelaide.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 12th June 2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hothersall View Post
I think the 717s they are getting might be the ones that are currently in storage here in Adelaide.

Correct Ryan there is a total of 3 going.
Old 12th June 2008, 01:07 PM

NXB, NXC, NXF and another coming from another American Operator.