Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 15th July 2022, 11:15 AM
Prolific Member

Default REX buys Cobhams FIFO Ops (NJE)

Rex has signed an agreement to acquire National Jet Express, the regional services arm of Cobham Aviation Services Australia.

NJE is the leading provider of fly-in fly-out services in Western Australia and South Australia and operates freight services from Sydney to Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and the Gold Coast, as well as charter services to Papua New Guinea.

Regional Express (Rex)’s subsidiary Rex Freight and Charter has signed a sale and purchase agreement to acquire Cobham for $48 million.
According to a release from Rex, the finding will be provided by drawing down an additional $15 million under its convertible note facility with PAG and from its own cash resources to find 50 per cent of the purchase price.
The remaining 50 per cent will be provided by joint venture partners, one of whom is Rex’s chairman, who will be funding their 50 per cent share with private funds.

Rex’s executive chairman, Lim Kim Hai said FIFO services are expected to experience strong growth in Australia and this acquisition positions the Rex Group to participate in this booming sector.
“With this acquisition, Rex will have a FIFO arm that is simply unparalleled in Australia,” Hai said.

“NJE has a completely modern fleet comprising eight Bombardier Q400 turboprops and six Embraer E190 jets for FIFO work. Both aircraft types are fuel efficient, have enhanced operational reliability and low carbon emissions when compared with the predominantly 40-year-old Fokker 100s used by the other major FIFO operators.

“I believe that NJE’s modern aircraft fleet and its long-term customer relationships overlayed with Rex’s proven record of safety, reliability and cost efficiencies would propel NJE to be the premier FIFO operator in Australia.

“NJE will naturally be the partner of choice for resources companies all over Australia who have been crying out for so long for a FIFO provider that is able to address their triple priorities of minimal impact on the environment, comfort and safety of its staff and reliability of service.

“The joint venture will invest in modern aircraft and technology to enable NJE to expand from its traditional base of WA and SA and bring our unique brand of FIFO services also to Queensland and Northern Territory.”

The sale will be subject to regulatory approvals.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/arti...y-out-airline/
Old 15th July 2022, 08:31 PM

Gets me with REX. Always crying out poor. Qantas did this Qantas did that we can't compete on this and that route, we are going broke.
Enter REX on the big stage with jets and now buying up other carriers. So how do they do it with NO $$$$$$, so they say?

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 15th July 2022, 11:10 PM

Friends in high places......
Old 16th July 2022, 09:18 AM

According to Planespotters, Dash 8-300, VH-SBJ is owned by Cobham Aviation and is leased to Eastern Australia Airlines. That means that if the sale goes through Rex will be leasing an aircraft to a QANTAS subsidiary with a red kangaroo on the tail. How ironic.
Old 16th July 2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
According to Planespotters, Dash 8-300, VH-SBJ is owned by Cobham Aviation and is leased to Eastern Australia Airlines. That means that if the sale goes through Rex will be leasing an aircraft to a QANTAS subsidiary with a red kangaroo on the tail. How ironic.

SBJ has always been owned by Eastern Australia Airlines. It was leased to Cobham/NJE between 2009 and 2012 and is clearly stated in this link as ‘returned’ from lease.

https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...taslink/r758w1
Old 16th July 2022, 11:45 AM

Thanks for correcting my mistake, Rowan. I obviously didn't scroll down far enough and got confused between "leased by" and "leased to" in my mind when contemplating the possibility.
Old 16th July 2022, 02:09 PM
Prolific Member

If successful REX will have an interesting fleet mix with B738, E190s, Dash8's & SAABs.

Will the SAABs be retired for E190s and/or Dash8's ?
Old 17th July 2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hyde View Post
If successful REX will have an interesting fleet mix with B738, E190s, Dash8's & SAABs.

Pre-Covid REX was talking with ATR about replacements for the SAABs.
Old 17th July 2022, 08:05 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hyde View Post

Two very different markets served by two AOCs, I don’t think you will see any cross pollination of aircraft.
Old 18th July 2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Two very different markets served by two AOCs, I don’t think you will see any cross pollination of aircraft.
Yeah I agree. For one thing, I've not seen any indication that the Cobham operation will be rebranded as Rex - not ruling it out, but certainly wasn't mentioned in the press release, in fact I read it the opposite way with the repeated references to NJE will this and NJE will that.

At most, there might, might one day in the future be E190s used for some RPT services out of PER to points in WA and the likes of ADL, ASP, DRW.