Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 22nd March 2011, 02:30 AM

Default Approach at night without landing lights

Recently I saw a QF 767 approaching Perth at night without landing lights. He got to within 100 or so meters from the runway before conducting a go-around. I'm told the go-around was due to a Virgin 737 still on the runway.
I have seen several times in the past where aircraft approach at night without landing lights and then turn them on at the last minute.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this is done as I was under the impression that landing lights are supposed to be used below 10,000ft.
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:11 AM

Might be something to do with residential areas? i.e. the high-intensity lights (added to the noise of course) can be enough to wake someone up or cause annoyance to residents?

Boo-hoo to the complaining ones, in my opinion!

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)

Last edited by Brock Little; 22nd March 2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:55 AM

Our (QLink) policy is to have approach lights on below 10000ft, and the landing light goes on with the landing/take off clearance.
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:18 PM

Was there low cloud? If there was sometimes it's easier to fly with the landing lights off in cloud and turn them on when you come out of the cloud.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:14 PM

Smile

More than likely the PNF forgot his transition drills and overlooked switching them on.

Simple human error. It happens.

Consideration for houses under the flight path is something I've never heard of (nor thought of) in 30 years of flying
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:17 PM

Same here Jarse, never heard of lights off for houses in my 22 years of flying, including operating into Perth in various jet aircraft.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:35 PM

No doubt soon enough someone will complain about landing lights being too bright, and it will somehow make front page news.
Old 23rd March 2011, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the replies so far, just a few points:
There was no cloud around at all.
The residential area thing is not the case as of only seen this with a few flights.
The crew forgetting to switch them on is a possibility, 10 years working at the airport I've seen pilots forget to turn various lights and beacons on and off when they are supposed to on occasions.

But in this case I think it may be done when they are close to the aircraft in front but I'm hoping someone in the know would be able to confirm this.
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:38 AM

Smile

Adam,
The SOP at the company I work at is for exterior lights on below 10000', or at any level when in the hold.

Of course you can use discretion on approach in conditions of dubious visibility along the flight path. I have only done this once or twice during the Sydney bushfires a few years ago, when approaching through smoke threw back quite a lot of glare (similar to driving in fog).
Old 23rd March 2011, 08:51 AM
Prolific Member

Malaysian B777's often don't turn on the lights until well down the final leg (I don't monitor Twr freq, so I presume once they've got landing clearance). It makes it easy to tell who it it from a few miles out