Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 21st April 2015, 05:18 PM

Williamtown was interesting today to say the least. the civil side had some damage done to the new awning outside the new arrivals doors (let's just say most of it is gone). And due to the weather conditions this morning, tower was reporting 40-60knots crosswind. None of the overnighters got out (JQ473, JQ480 and QF2420). Virgin made a missed approach at 0730 and then somehow manage to land. I think there was a downwind component of 35knots then and the poor pax's had to sit on the taxiway as the ground crew couldn't service the plane due to the weather, they then took off and went back to Brisbane. JQ484 took off about 1430 in 30knot crosswind. Would of been hairy for the crew and paxs and since then, nothing else has tried to take off or land. There's is also some flooding between the Runway and Hotel, and half of Juliet is flooded. And I don't think it will get any better as the night goes on.
Old 21st April 2015, 05:54 PM

I arrived this morning on VA813 (VH VOQ) and we were held 30 minutes on the ground in MEL and 30 minutes of holding near Canberra (to North West of Canberra i think - could not see because of cloud cover). The wind seemed to be pretty well blowing straight down the runway from the South and visibility (from seat 4A) did not look the best. Pilots did a great job and from my perspective as a passenger the approach and landing was really smooth, did notice engines powering up and down a fair bit. Well done to pilots, ground staff etc
Old 21st April 2015, 06:26 PM

A Rex Saab has been the only civilian aircraft to successfully complete a flight today in Newcastle.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
there was a downwind component of 35knots
Downwind or crosswind? I doubt downwind.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Downwind or crosswind? I doubt downwind.
It was downwind. The winds at the time were coming out of about 140 degrees. When it took off. I swear it used less then 2000ft of runway. It was an incredible sight!
Old 21st April 2015, 08:16 PM

I think you're confused with your winds. No aircraft would land with 35kts of downwind. Downwind means the wind is coming from behind the aircraft.

The maximum we can accept in the A320 is 10kts.

Mick
Old 21st April 2015, 08:37 PM

Thanks for explaining Michael! So is that a bit like what they have in parts of the USA for regional jets, so pax don't have to go down the stairs to the ground then back up the stairs to the airbridge?
Old 21st April 2015, 08:46 PM

Well there have been some interesting REX movements, not sure if its due to the weather.

VH-ZLA (RXA9916) MIM - WGA (was scheduled for SYD)
VH-RXX (RXA767) SYD - ABX (arrived in WGA and departed about half an hour later)
VH-ZRY (RXA662) WGA - NRA (was scheduled for SYD)
VH-KRX (RXA785) ABX - WGA
VH-VNA (RXA9942) WGA - GFF
VH-ZRB (RXA681) NRA - WGA (was scheduled SYD - WGA flight but operated SYD - NRA - WGA)

Scheduled to fly to YSWG
VH-RXX (RXA9943) from GFF

Flightradar24 feeder (F-YSWG1 & T-YSWG2)
FlightAware feeder (YSWG/6482)

Last edited by Robert.M; 21st April 2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:09 PM

Thanks for explaining, i swear thats what I heard, but I'm probably wrong, I'm still new to this. I'm I right by saying there's a limit to how much crosswind there's can be for a plane to land?
Old 21st April 2015, 09:39 PM

Correct. Each aircraft has it's own limitations. The crosswind limit for the A320 for example is 38kt's.