Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 21st January 2018, 10:03 PM

Default Any photo or spotting opp's at the western end of the East-West Runway?

There is a park over towards the western end of the East West runway. You can drive straight in, if my memory serves me correctly, but I haven't been there for a long time.

It seems like it used to be a much better spot for photography than it is now, but I only visited it rarely and occasionally over the years.

Is anyone still using that park area for spotting and photography? Obviously it's never as busy as the north-south runways, but it seems to have lost its appeal to almost everyone.
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:51 PM

It should still be there, though I'm pretty certain it has either lost some of its elevation, or the area around the 07 threshold is a little more built up, which hinders what used to be a relatively good view virtually straight down the centreline. You used to be able to schlep through some low bushes to the edge of the river too for some different angles for photography. Just don't fall in.

Not only that, these days with 07/25 being used pretty infrequently there isn't a great deal to be seen from there.

It's at the end of a long drive from the entrance on West Botany St, past the Barton Park golf range.
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:40 PM

James R, thanks for the update.

I visited Barton Park in 2013 after many years of not going there. Somehow it seemed that it just wasn't the same, worse than before, but it had been a long time between visits.

I'm always looking for new and innovative angles, more for photography than simply spotting or viewing.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:36 AM

There appears to be a car park seen on Google Earth at the end of Tancred Ave , Kyeemagh which may be useful for photography . Never having been there myself , but you never know .
Dave C
Old 24th January 2018, 10:14 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I no longer have Barton Park on my Website Spotting locations, as Runway 25/07 is used so infrequently.

Many of the other spotting locations are covered here http://www.16right.com/spotting/locations/
Old 24th January 2018, 05:57 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R View Post
It's at the end of a long drive from the entrance on West Botany St, past the Barton Park golf range.
Is that with a one wood, or in a car?