Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 11th April 2011, 02:08 PM

Default Qantas Pilots strike back over claims by CEO

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...-1226035656773

Interesting story. I just wish the mainstream media would do a bit more towards getting this sort of information out into the public. The spin being put out by Qantas PR and Management is a joke.

Get behind the Qantas pilots where ever possible. This could be one of the last opportunities they have to try and save our industry.

Cheers

Mick
Old 11th April 2011, 09:08 PM

I think Qantas' PR department and Management have no option but to put out spin, given that the mainstream media look for every opportunity to crap on the Airline. Even Airline stories that seemingly have nothing to do with Qantas result in references to A380 engine explosions and the like.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:09 PM

I'm all for pilots, engineers, CEO's and other company staff getting paid a fair wage for a fair days work. Over time, the market dictates fair price. Too expensive and it gets outsourced/offshored. Too cheap and you can't get the right people.

Financially Qantas has been on a down hill spiral for years. In the last 10 years:
.. debt has almost doubled
.. the profit it can generates on the debt/equity is down 75%
.. the value of the company has consistently dropped (a shareholders nightmare)

Airlines operate in a global market where Australian labour is very expensive (only made worse by a very strong dollar).

The company as a whole (both management and each employee) need to make some significant changes to stop the downward spiral or Qantas may not exist in its current form in another 10 years.

Matt

Last edited by Matt D; 12th April 2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12th April 2011, 01:41 AM

Just out of curiosity Matt, what would you attribute that to?

What has been the common theme of the direction of Qantas management over the last 10 years compared to the periods before that?
Old 12th April 2011, 02:54 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
Just out of curiosity Matt, what would you attribute that to?

What has been the common theme of the direction of Qantas management over the last 10 years compared to the periods before that?
Eye spy with my fisheye something beginning with......... J?

Old 12th April 2011, 03:58 PM

And they think J* is the answer?

I for one do not fly J*, QF or VB can get you where you want to go. And if you have been following the senate inquiry you'll probably be doing the same.

Maybe one day J* will be repainted with QF colours, that may be the long term plan, if QF survives that long. Which by that time they would have pi**ed all the customers off.
Old 12th April 2011, 06:45 PM

I think its more fundamental than J*.

If I can quote the former Qantas CEO...

Quote:
"I have always seen shareholders as our most important stakeholders. I know some CEOs say look after your customers, look after your employees, and the returns for shareholders will follow. I do the exact opposite."
10 years ago everything was done to increase the share price while removing value from the airline. Now Qantas is seeing the effects.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:17 PM

Default Hit nail on head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
I think its more fundamental than J*.

10 years ago everything was done to increase the share price while removing value from the airline. Now Qantas is seeing the effects.

Exactly right Owen. Just what I was thinking.

Todd.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:39 PM

it is not surprising airlines have to find ways to cut cost when fuel today is 3 to 4x what it was 10 years ago. I don't believe revenue generated today is 3 to 4x than it was 10 yrs ago.

At the end of the day, I think jobs will ultimately be outsourced overseas. If Australian carriers don't, the foreign carriers will eventually do that for you as more and more fly in further erroding market share