Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 24th March 2011, 09:54 AM

BCF Fire extinguishers.

Bromochlorodiflouromethane (Halon)

Fred
Old 24th March 2011, 10:33 AM

Really?

I thought they were not made any more and now illegal?

And I thought this was because they put out a fire by removing all the oxygen from the area, thus being very dangerous to humans?

Although I guess if there was a fire in the cockpit the pilots would have there breathing apperatis on.

Cheers

M
Old 24th March 2011, 10:50 AM

I knew this would be the very next question when I posted last.

Yes the flight crew would have had on their oxygen masks, due fire and the use of the fire extinguisher.

BCF is still used in aviation as it is the most effective extinguishant for the situation. When they are used there is a lot of paperwork generated. Usually for the fact that there is a fire onboard the aircraft, but also due to the environmental effects.

However, when I am at 38,000 ft, many minutes from being safely on the ground, I (and probably 400 other souls on the aircraft) am happy to be unconcerned about the environmental effects of BCF and just want the fire extinguished as soon as possible.

Fred
Old 24th March 2011, 11:24 AM

I see the Telegraph is also reporting hyterically, and their timing of the incident is also incorrect - perhaps this one has been badly fed by AAP.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/tra...-1226027161590
Old 24th March 2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Thanks Fred, I read in one of the articles that any time an extinguisher gets used in the cockpit it is very "messy", I thought surely they wouldn't be using dry-powder units - perhaps they were referring to the paperwork!
Old 24th March 2011, 03:11 PM

Discharging a dry powder extinguisher in a cockpit would be hideous to clean up let alone corrosion issues.
A water fire extinguisher in a cockpit...............mmmmm anyone for fried pilot?
A carbon dioxide fire extinguisher has the same effect removing oxygen and would also probably wet a lot of things. Little bits of ice discharged.
Hence why the BCF are used.

Fred
Old 24th March 2011, 03:41 PM

VH-EBL just arrived back in SYD a short time ago
Old 25th March 2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I thought they were not made any more and now illegal?

And I thought this was because they put out a fire by removing all the oxygen from the area, thus being very dangerous to humans?
The reason was that they are environmentally unfriendly toward the ozone layer.

The greenies had them banned.

They were a very good extinguisher.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:53 AM

There was another large push a year or so ago in Europe to have them banned from commercial aircraft as well. As far as I'm aware it so far has not been successful... and lets hope it stays that way.
Old 26th March 2011, 02:55 PM

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4813...r-cockpit-fire

Quote:
A Nelson man was among passengers on a Qantas flight from the Philippines to Sydney who feared for their lives as pilots had to put out an electrical fire in the cockpit.

Murray Malone is now questioning the safety of the Airbus A330-200.

Malone, who is a member of the Stoke Classics rugby team which played at the Manila 10s tournament, awoke on the flight at 3.30am on Wednesday five hours into the eight-hour flight to hear a pilot saying they had a big problem

Malone, who is Turners and Growers' development manager, was the only one from the Stoke team on the flight, which landed safely in Cairns.

The captain then asked the passengers if they had questions and Malone asked for the technical details. He was told there had been a short circuit in the electrical server to the windscreen heater that caused the fire. The automatic fire extinguisher had put it out at the outset then it fired up again.
Don't worry about the ATSB, Malone is on the case...

Flown:
Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Bombardier, De Havilland Canada, Ilyushin, Yakovlev, Tupolev, Shorts, ATR, McDonnell Douglas, Fokker, Embraer, British Aerospace, Antonov.