Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 20th March 2015, 09:01 PM

Default Tamron V Sigma Telephoto lenses

Evening all,

I am considering a new zoom for a number of styles of photography, and am looking at the Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS Nikon Mount v the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD. This is going to go on a Nikon D90.

Does anyone on the board have any one of these lenses, especially the Tamron? The more reviews I find the more I seem to be leaning towards the Tamron based on focus,image quality at the pointy end and weight. I did hire a Sigma and found it quite heavy but I slowly got used to this. I didnt get the manual with the lens and should have read the manual regarding the OS settings, which I had on the wrong setting. I did start tog et better images later in the day so it was certainly a learning curve.

I haven't owned a lens of this size before so I'm interested on what you guys have for a Nikon body for under $1300

Adrian
Old 20th March 2015, 10:27 PM

Hi Adrian,

I have the Sigma lens which I have used with my D7100 and my older D5100. I can't comment on the Tamron as I've not tried it but I think the Sigma is a good lens for the price - it can be had for $900 from Teds from example.

IMHO...

Assuming I'm using it right and don't have a bad sample, the main issue for me is that past 300mm image quality gets quite soft - it would be awesome if it were sharp all the way up to 500mm but for a $900 lens that's may not be a realistic expectation. It's great around the 150-200mm range.

In my opinion whether or not you're shooting stationary or fast moving subjects makes a difference with this lens too. The autofocus does tend to hunt a bit (it's moving quite a big bit of glass) but a quick turn of the manual focus ring to get it close helps a lot. If you're shooting in low light, the relatively slow aperture range on this lens might be an issue too.

The Sigma is a good budget or beginner lens, however my advice is to consider whether or not you can get a faster lens like the excellent Nikon 70-200 f2.8 instead - albeit at around 2.5x the price. I've never heard anyone who owns one say anything negative about them, and if the extra reach past 200mm is important teleconverters might be an option without losing too much in the way of max aperture.

On the camera body, the D7100 can be had at Aussie retail for under $1300, although the new D7200 just came out. Because the D7100 has a metal frame it's a bit sturdier when it comes to having a big lens attached than the cheaper consumer models - I've not been worried about breaking mine if I accidentally pick up the body+lens by the body like I did with the D5100 (plastic chassis). However with a big lens the rule is always to pick it up by the lens, not the camera body!! With the higher end models you get the benefits of higher resolution, more autofocus points, higher frame rates etc. that will be valid on any lens you put on the body.

Hope this helps, and happy shooting!!
Terence.
Old 21st March 2015, 08:13 AM

Thanks Terence

The softness over 300 mm is one of the things I have read plenty of hence looking for an alternative. I am happy with the body at the moment and I know the Tamron is suitable for full and crop sensor bodies. As I am looking for use over 300 mm the Tamron seems to be looking like the better option. The Nikon lenses are out of he budget this time.

Adrian
Old 21st March 2015, 09:30 AM

Hi Adrian. I have the Sigma for Canon mount. It does the job fine, but I agree with Terence, it is a bit slow and I would recommend going the Nikon brand. Still though, the Sigma is a bit heavy when shooting with handheld, but overall for the price, I think it is a good lens for the price. Good luck Shopping

Jacob