Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 12th January 2011, 05:15 PM

Default When was smoking inflight banned in Australia?

When was smoking on domestic flights and Qantas international flights banned in Australia?
Old 12th January 2011, 05:41 PM

Early 90's on domestics? Cant remember now, Intl ban came later im sure
Old 12th January 2011, 08:45 PM

I never remember smoking on any Australian reg. aircraft. My first flight was QF11 in mid September, 1991. However I was only 7 so I could easily have forgotten.

In saying that I had rather bad Asthma back then so if there was to much smoking on a flight I can only imagine I wouldn't of enjoyed it too much.

I am wondering if the ban on all international flights originating or terminating in Australia was, 1 Jan, 1999. The only reason I say that is because on boxing day 1998 I flew to EZE on AR and clearly remember smoking on the flight, however on the way home from RGL again on AR a few weeks later I do not recall any smoking at all. Could be wrong, just throwing it out there.

Cheers

M
Old 12th January 2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grima View Post
I never remember smoking on any Australian reg. aircraft. My first flight was QF11 in mid September, 1991. However I was only 7 so I could easily have forgotten.
I flew QF3 SYD-PPT-LAX in 1989 and I'm sure there was a smoking section at the rear of the aircraft.
Old 13th January 2011, 01:02 PM

1987 on domestic.
Old 13th January 2011, 01:05 PM

Default Inflight Smoking Banned

Smoking aboard Australian domestic aircraft was banned on 1 December 1987.

On May 25, 1990, the Federal Government announced that smoking would be banned on international flights within Australian airspace, effective from 1 September 1990.

In October 1994 the Federal Government announced that smoking would be banned on all Australian international flights from July 1996, making Qantas and Ansett smokefree on all flights.

Agreement has been reached between Australia, the United States and Canada to ban smoking on all non-stop passenger flights operating between the three countries from March 1, 1995.

The international civil aviation body, the International Civil Aviation Organisation, has adopted the directive that inflight smoking should be banned by mid-1996 and is collaborating with the World Health Organization towards this end, although member states are left to determine their own policies.

From http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au...ndi/c06s12.htm
Old 14th January 2011, 05:58 PM

On BA in 1991 smoking was permitted on the LHR-SIN-SYD sectors, but not on the SYD-MEL sector.

These days I am forced by law to endure body odour, people breaking wind, kids having a nothcote and kew etc, previously the smell of cigarette smoke would have masked these odours.

Cheers
Anthony T