Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 23rd March 2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert S View Post
I wasn't aware that they were planning to combine arrivals.

No problem purchasing at Singapore - you just have to follow the procedure correctly (which involves the items being delivered to you at your gate for collection after security). You can't purchase items duty free at a previous port and carry them in your hand luggage through Singapore though, no.

Brochure: http://www.changiairport.com/changiw...uidBanBroc.pdf (note list on page 2, noting that for Australia, large containers will be delivered to the gate holding pens for your collection).

Duty free on arrival is not popular, I would say particularly so in Australia as everything other than trans-Tasman is medium-haul travel at least... people just want to go home. That's why they have the purchase-on-departure/collect-on-arrival system as well as someone standing at the duty free forlornly spruiking "Last chance for duty free! Anyone? anyone?"

Other than that speciality market, there's no general demand for a "shopping experience" on arrival... it's the captive market on departure that they are going for... and they're just catching up with the rest of the world there.
Yeah quite correct about Singapore and some other airports too. Seems a tad silly, but alas that is a different thread.

As for the development plans at Syndey I was just going off what I recall from the announcements at the time. I had thought that arrivals was being combined too, but looking at the works statement on the Sydney Airport website it isn't 100% clear if that is the case. All it mentions is 3 new belts to cater for A380. Anyone know where they will put them. That being said the two seperate arrivals halls are not that far removed already, so maybe the new belts will essentialy open it to make it one big hall.
Old 26th March 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
so if one check-in at K section, one has to backtrack to E section, to got thru immigration etc, then back track to gates 50-63

stupid IMHO

Banjo
I am all in favour of a centralised entry point because I think it makes more sense. Some passengers are often really clueless in airports and they can end up walking into the customs entry area, leading them to the wrong pier (I've seen quite a few myself).

Unfortunately while the design is indeed stupid, they've probably deliberately designed / planned it this way so they could force passengers to walk as far a distance as possible along Duty Free Shopsetc in order to expose them to more retail. One example to back up this argument is Gate 51 on the arrivals level - once you get off the plane - you walk right into a duty free shop and the passengers look genuinely lost!! - definitely a bad design.

It would also be a nightmare for airport staff who have to push WCHR pax or walk UMs for such a long distance to get to the tip of Pier C (the distance is going to be more or less doubled?)

The other issue is we'll probably lose the food court area and also the glass window area just beside Gate 51 with the great views of the tarmac .

Last edited by D Chan; 26th March 2008 at 05:26 PM.