Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 7th May 2010, 11:12 PM

Unhappy

The A380 is a very comfortable a/c to travel in - certainly quieter and smoother than the 747s. But whenever I have travelled there has been some little glitch with brakes or IFE that takes the gloss off a little and suggests some ongoing design or build issues. I wouldn't put it higher than that, but I would expect that by now these issues had been sorted and the fact that they are ongoing has irritation value I'm sure for the operators as much for the pax.
Old 8th May 2010, 07:17 AM

The discussion was about whether the A380 issues have been overstated. I was giving my personal perspective. You have given yours. Readers and FFs can form their own views.
Old 8th May 2010, 04:31 PM

While it may have a better dispatch rate, the number of A380's that need to be sold to be profitable continues to increase.

I don't think the A380 will ever make a true profit for Airbus!

There are only a small handful of airlines that MAY order the A380 and even then, doubtful it will be another 150-250 that they need to make a profit.
Old 8th May 2010, 09:45 PM

Too much too late.
Old 9th May 2010, 01:42 PM

So check this.... we are lucky enough to get an internationally recognised aviation analyst contributing to this site and this is how it's treated over at a.net

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...802492/#menu27

Quote:
cpd From Australia, joined Jun 2008, 2511 posts, RR: 42
Reply 35, posted Thu May 6 2010 01:11:28 your local time (1 day 21 hours 35 minutes ago) and read 22354 times:

Quoting PM (Reply 27):

Saj predicting bad news for Airbus? Whatever next?!

He was on the Sydney Airport Message Board recently spreading Airbus doom and gloom as well, pointing to his blog. Received a lot of rolled eyes from forum regulars
No wonder they say overseas we're insular (and on this site IMHO) elitist. C'mon, give it a break will ya.
Old 9th May 2010, 05:54 PM

As with any forum there are those with "vested interests" so of course people will be there to defend Airbus and Boeing much more than just being a Forum fanboy.

Saj A - Thanks for posting on here
Old 18th May 2010, 01:09 PM

No tears from me if they ever stopped production... lol.
Old 18th May 2010, 01:58 PM

Guys

Apart from the odd one or two , most passengers agree that the A380 has introduced new standards of passenger comfort to airline travel - I've travelled on QF, SQ and EK and would pick an A380 ahead of any other airliner currently flying if given the choice, except perhaps a 77W/L.

That said, Airbus hasn't done itself any favours with the aircraft's industralisation issues, slow production ramp up, and range of options offered to launch customers, and I believe the jury is probably still out on whether Airbus will ever sell the ~500 required to turn a profit on the program.

I also doubt the launch airlines have configured the A380 in the best and most efficent way, hence QF's decision to re-configure its last eight jets, and may not be using it to its potential either. I guess later configurations and routing will tell. The IFE problems that people complain about are airline furnished equipment, and generally not related to the aircraft itself.

Last edited by Andrew McLaughlin; 18th May 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 18th May 2010, 02:48 PM

I couldnt agree more with everything you have said Andrew.
Old 18th May 2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Apart from the odd one or two
IFE problems not notwithstanding? Friends and relatives who've flown on the A380 all comment to me how quiet and smooth it was, especially the landings. I remember my dad used to tell me the same thing about the 747's when I was a young fella.