Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 4th August 2016, 11:30 AM
Prolific Member

Unverified data suggests 1000fpm descent when she hit the ground, would not be surprised if she was hit with wind sheer at the wrong moment in transition to TOGA.
Old 4th August 2016, 12:38 PM
Prolific Member

Hard to believe that hand luggage is more important than your own life.

Where in the safety video does it show:

Evacuate, Evacuate, Stand-up, Block Aisle, Open Overhead bin, Remove hand luggage, die...

It was reported that the co-pilot might be an Aussie.
Old 4th August 2016, 12:42 PM

The co-pilot was Australian, he was pilot not flying at the time, I found a scratchy ATC recording and its definitely an Australian on the radios for EK521
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 4th August 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hyde View Post
Hard to believe that hand luggage is more important than your own life.

Where in the safety video does it show:

Evacuate, Evacuate, Stand-up, Block Aisle, Open Overhead bin, Remove hand luggage, die...

It was reported that the co-pilot might be an Aussie.
it will continue to occur, the only solution is to ban hand carry, which will never occur.
Old 4th August 2016, 06:08 PM
Prolific Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
it will continue to occur, the only solution is to ban hand carry, which will never occur.
I agree, it's human nature to prevent loss, even if it's personal effects at the risk of your life or others. Was somewhat amused to read certain press expressing shock at the video showing panic and asking if certification takes into account panicked pax when it comes to evac times. It's not a new thing, and yes, it's taken into account, people do the weirdest things, USAir 1493 at LAX was a case in point, where two pax fought at the exit door blocking others from escape.
Old 4th August 2016, 07:02 PM
Prolific Member

In the UK several years ago Uni's were doing simulations on aircraft evacuation.

To instill some realism 5/10pound was paid to the first subjects out the door.

The incentive payment was found to be a success.

When the A380 was going through certification they did several full scale simulations with a full pax load. This was shown on several docos at the time.
Old 4th August 2016, 07:41 PM

Just a thought regarding the absurd scramble for bags. If a similar incident occurred in Australia, why should the passengers not face criminal charges?

Each state here has some type of 'Act Endangering Life' offence. Ignore any state/commonwealth jurisdiction complexities for the purpose of discussion.

In my mind, the actions of those in the video is very disturbing and legislation should cover the blatant disregard of cabin safety protocols.

Cheers

M
Old 4th August 2016, 08:12 PM

I don't condone people evacuating with bags, but don't think the issue is as simple as many make out here. Criminal charges? Seriously? Do you think in the heat of the moment that would deter someone? Very easy to say sitting in the comfort of your own home judging the actions of others. And what about the videoer, maybe lock him/her up and throw away the keys?

There are a whole raft of other issues to consider, and differing cultures is a big factor. In this case the flight was from India, and generalising here but I reckon many pax would be workers in the UAE who get paid bugger all and what they were carrying would probably be the extent of their life's belongings. So much more valuable to THEM, compared to say what I carry around in my hand luggage.

And as others have said evacuation policies and regulations take into account a percentage of people doing the wrong thing etc.
Old 4th August 2016, 08:54 PM
Prolific Member

The problem is that humans don't remember the bad old days when planes burnt and people died.

For example:
* British Airtours Flight 28M Manchester 55 dead
* Saudia Flight 163 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 301 dead
* Air Canada Flight 797, Kentucky, 23 dead

As aircraft get safer we forget about previous disasters and the need to get out.
Old 5th August 2016, 09:49 AM

Couldn't agree more with the basis of your reply Ash. That is there are a number of reasons passengers reach for bags in this type of scenario. It's certainly not something I have first hand experience with.

I don't think that and charges are the sole answer to this, however I think they could play apart in the answer.

Let me ask the question this way. In the current times where civil litigation occurs frequently and everyone is looking to apportion blame and negligence, if this situation saw the worst occur why should the airlines level of negligence not be reduce, to take into account the actions of passengers?

In thinking about this, I'm only thinking about the Australian system and our culture. I appreciate that in the present example there is a vast difference.

Cheers

M