Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 16th November 2009, 12:27 PM

Post Second interim ATSB report

The ATSB will be releasing its second interim factual report on Wednesday morning: http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2009/alert/2009_14.aspx

The first report foreshadowed the contents of the second report:

Quote:
The next phase of the investigation will further interrogate the aircraft's primary flight control computer and two secondary computers. The ATSB had identified problems with the secondary computers' ability to action commands sent from the primary. The investigation will examine the computers' software development cycle, such as design, hazard analysis, testing and certification.
The US manufacturer of the ADIRU units, not disclosed in the report, is also conducting a theoretical analysis of the device's software and hardware to identify possible fault origins, the ATSB said.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:48 AM

Post ATSB 2nd interim factual report released

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/748444/ao2008070_ifr_2.pdf

Extract from the report:

Quote:
Despite extensive testing and analysis, the reason why the ADIRU started providing erroneous data (spikes) during the 7 October 2008 flight (or the 27 December 2008 flight) has not been identified to date. Nevertheless, the crew operational procedures that were provided by Airbus in October 2008 (and modified in December 2008 and January 2009) significantly reduced the chance of another in-flight upset by limiting the time that a faulty ADIRU could output angle of attack spikes. Airbus is also modifying the FCPC software used in the A330/A340 fleets to prevent angle of attack spikes leading to an in-flight upset.

Last edited by Philip Argy; 18th November 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added extract
Old 20th September 2010, 09:50 AM

Post Legal action against Airbus & Northrop-Grumman

This news story out today about a class action commenced in USA against Airbus as well as Northrop-Grumman (the maker of the ADIRU):
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...20/3015989.htm.

The 'evidence' they apparently plan to use is the second interim ATSB factual report at: http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1363394...8070_ifr_2.pdf

The action has been filed now before the 2 year statute of limitations expires on 7 October.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:09 AM

What I find wierd though is, it has been filed by a US Attorney in a US Court as, under US Law, they can get more compensation.
Quote:
"One thing about US law which is interesting is that you can recover against these manufacturers for psychological injuries," he said.

"Everyone on that plane has experienced some type of trauma. Everybody who has ever flown before knows the feeling in the pit of your stomach when you have turbulence.

"Now think about a plane going into a dive twice, with people flying up into the air, hitting their heads on the overhead bins, carts flying around, the debris.

"Just an absolute state of panic and terror in that aircraft."

Mr Wisner says the statute of limitations in the US is about to expire on the second anniversary on October 7 and after that people will not be able to join the class action.

He says passengers from Australia, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Great Britain are all involved in the action.

He says Airbus wants the case to be heard in Australia, where the law would not allow people to claim anywhere near as much as they can under US law.
Source: - YAHOO

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 20th September 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
What I find wierd though is, it has been filed by a US Attorney in a US Court as, under US Law, they can get more compensation. Source: - YAHOO

the part in question was manufactured in the US...I think you will find that this is integral to the case.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/

check tomorrow, there was a segment on the case tonight on ABC radio.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 20th September 2010, 08:56 PM

Ahhh... ok... I hadn't thought of that side of things... I just thought of it being a French AC with an Australian Operator over Australia that it wierd to be heard in a US Court!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 20th September 2010, 09:42 PM

there was a story on the 7.30 report about it too
Old 19th December 2011, 02:29 PM

Post ATSB final report released

Access via this link:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/...-2008-070.aspx
Old 20th December 2011, 08:53 AM

Seems to me that the crew did a great job in dealing with this emergency, both tech Crew and Cabin Staff.

Pilots with a lot of experience between them. Did I read right where it indicated one of the cabin crew had 37 years experience. That is a mighty knock in anyones book. He or she would have started back in the 70's.

I am firmly in the camp that subscribes to the theory that pilots must be and continue to be adequately paid to reflect the huge responsibility they carry each and every time they fly. I am a bloody nervous flyer and I want my pilots well paid and well trained.

Good job
Old 20th December 2011, 07:11 PM

Thumbs up Great airmanship

No question - very well handled when they couldn't trust what the instruments were telling them. The fundamental rule was followed - someone needs to fly the plane! And that's exactly what the Captain did while others attended to other duties.

As I commented early in this thread, fly by wire is great until the wire 'breaks'. Hopefully safety critical avionics software will be vastly better in the future as a result of this very conscientious ATSB report - all 313 pages of it.