Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 30th November 2015, 12:52 PM

Correct James but there other places around Perth airport that are excellent in the morning and afternoon whichever runway is in use - seek and you shall find. And in more than 27 years spotting in Perth, I have never been told to b....r off or go to the official location. Be thankful for the Viewing Area - people are lobbying to have it upgraded and I believe there are plans for another elsewhere.
Old 30th November 2015, 01:02 PM

Hi Greg - not correct. Kurt will probably recall that SACL / Federal Police were considering a formal spotting location a couple of years ago at Sydney Airport and asked for input from subscribers to this board. I submitted a lengthy email to FedPol regarding the relationship Perth spotters have with the airport authorities and also mentioned that a Viewing Area has just opened at Perth Airport - December 2011 I think so I thought that would have give them some ideas. However, afaik, nothing ever eventuated with the Sydney proposal. I kept my email to FedPol for sometime but deleted it earlier this year.
Old 30th November 2015, 01:36 PM

So therefore it IS correct Bob. They asked for proposals and you replied and have heard nothing in 4 years....I think that says it all!!
Old 30th November 2015, 05:43 PM

They (SACL) are not likely to do anything unless it could be built and operated at a decent margin and profit with returns in less than one or two years - or even less.

I do think they care but the business case for other uses is far more compelling than us spotters.

However, so we have so far lost the observation deck, the bus tour and now we're losing or having viewing opportunities disrupted with nothing to look forward to and a lot to still lose.

So whilst some would say they have done nothing what they could do is consider committing to something more permanent.
Old 30th November 2015, 06:34 PM

Greg did say that......" Sydney airport has made absolutely NO effort to accomodate spotters in this regard and have shown no wish to....." And Kurt, hasn't SACL been active with Aministrators of this Board on other matters ?

I thought Greg's statement untrue because some effort had been made, albeit never proceeded with. But let's drop the battle of semantics.

I'll continue to enjoy the Viewing Area at Perth airport whenever I can and hope that one day Sydney spotters will be able to enjoy similar facilities.
Old 30th November 2015, 06:38 PM

I'd rather have the money spent on infrastructure projects to be honest, but that's just my opinion as a user of the airport.

Mick
Old 1st December 2015, 09:34 AM

Gawd, hope they never stop people parking at the end of 34 in Melbourne.
Old 1st December 2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
I'd rather have the money spent on infrastructure projects to be honest, but that's just my opinion as a user of the airport.

Mick
Pffffttt, who'd ever use an airport to land planes at....

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 26th September 2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Buzzell View Post
Gawd, hope they never stop people parking at the end of 34 in Melbourne.
I'll agree with that. My partner & I recently went to Melbourne and spent the entire day there. It's a great spot.