Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2012, 02:09 PM

Default Air China at SYD

Hey all I'm trying to get some good decent closeup photos of Air China's A332 that flies here each day for my own collection and aircraft building. I know that CA175/176 is impossible because when it lands it stays at the gate and then takes off within 2 hours so there's no way I can get close to it. But for CA173/174, I know that CA173 comes down early in the morning and leaves late at night so it must be parked around the terminal somewhere during the day. Last December I caught it sitting at the side of General Holmes Drive just next to the fence at midday and I regret not having my camera with me. Is there a designated parking spot close to the fence for it so I can get some photos of it (of course me standing behind the fence)? Thanks and Regards~

By the way I am a newbie so am not sure where to ask this question of mine. Sorry if it's out of place!

Last edited by Raymond Z; 24th February 2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Adding something
Old 24th February 2012, 03:06 PM

Hi Raymond,

May i recommend this location? Bay 93A often see's either United or Air China parking here but not Saturday due to the DHL 757 due. You can be sure of where aircraft will park daily, so make frequent visits and you will be bound to get it.

Link

Google Maps - -33.934803,151.186555
Old 24th February 2012, 03:24 PM

Okay thanks Tim!

Yeah this is the exact location I last saw an Air China plane.

472 Ross Smith Ave.

In fact if you zoom towards there from General Holmes Drive, you see an Air China A332 sitting there.

So from both of these locations she seems to be visible in that area? Would she be closer to your spot more often?
Old 24th February 2012, 04:56 PM

Yeah Raymond 18mm would be perfect from the large gate at DHL from my spot I mentioned. The GA is a little far and subject to heat haze depending what bay its parked on.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:17 PM

Cheers.

Do security say anything for touching or walking or taking photos right next to the fence?
Old 24th February 2012, 08:27 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Exclamation

Hi Raymond,

Welcome to the forum.

The general recommendation is to exercise common sense spotting and photography, which would involve taking said required photo then retreating 3 metres from the security fence so as not cause angst or alarm to security.
Probably not a good idea to touch/lean against any security fence with your person or ladder..... and don't forget to remove any ladders or tripods you may take along with you.

Of course, if you loiter you may attract unwanted attention, so be sure to always carry suitable ID.

Good luck with the photo
Old 24th February 2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks Kurt! And yeah thanks for the advice.

That's a shame because I was hoping to do something like this: a black and white photo on a dull day, with someone holding onto the fence staring at a plane, looking lost and sad. Does the security on Ross Smith Avenue take form as guards walking along the perimeter, or are they in cars driving around?
Old 27th February 2012, 01:37 PM

The A330-200 aircraft had already disappeared by the time I got there this morning (1pm). That's unusual; I thought with the flight being late at night, it'd be parked there till at least 4pm. What time does it leave the parking bay normally?
Old 27th February 2012, 08:11 PM

Standing next to a fence is no big issue, I stood right next to it when Rossyia IL-96 was at GA with FEDS and Russian security right next to me on the other side only words that were spoken were G'day mate how are ya....

The issue regarding 3 meter rule is with ladders that's it im only relaying what I have been told by AFP and whatever the AFP says goes, as long as your not obstructing gates or anything like that it's all good your not going to stand next to fence for a long time anyway if you wanna couple shots.

And as regards people getting yelled at down that street they probably had there car parked in the no standing zone that's there or the Truckies that don't know what's going on probably had a go if that's the case park at Macca's and walk. Official position or not it's still alright to get photos there just get the shot you want then leave don't set up and camp there....

Last edited by Jaryd stock; 27th February 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:52 PM

Haha yeah cheers guys for the advice. As long as I don't hold a party outside on Ross Smith Ave or carry a ladder to do a stunt by the fence I should be fine by any aircraft and fence LOL. I'm getting a lift by car so will be careful to park at the designated areas. And will hold the fence for a few seconds for a photo, then walk away as necessary.

I guess if SNP security have issues, I should ask them to call the AFP. Because the AFP would know what they're talking about rather than SNP.