Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 28th July 2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
True, but Gregg is only 48 and Borghetti would be mid 40's. Dixon was seen as "old" when he was appointed at 60 and yet he will retire a month short of his 69th's birthday.
Sarah, where did you get Gregg's and Borghetti's age from. The QF website puts Gregg at 53.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
Righto. Perhaps structuring your sentences better, would help in the future?
I dont know, 50/50 as to how you would understand that one.

Anyway, back on topic.

Garry, i agree with you 100%. Couldn't have said anything else better myself really. No CEO is ever going to win the popularity contest - they have to make some decisions and they cop it for things they dont make decisions on. Its a hard job, and will never get any easier.

Rhys
Old 29th July 2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:

The appointment of Alan Joyce as next CEO of Qantas is more than just a reward for Joyce’s highly successful performance in establishing Jetstar as a major airline force, domestically and globally.
Link http://www.traveldailynews.com/pages/show_page/26565
Old 29th July 2008, 08:33 AM

Would the job as CEO JQ really be seen as a demotion for Gregg or Borghetti?

When I first herad the news my first thought was that it would have been one of those two for the JQ job, thinking about it now, maybe niether of them are the right people for the job. I think JQ needs to be seen by the public as a relaxed and fun airline and not sure either PG or JB have that image. In saying that however I think 95% of the general population will have never heard either of their names before.

Will be interesting to see what happens either way.

I am looking forward to see what happens during the next years under Joyce. No doubt JQ will expand and QF may get smaller. How many of these 787s will ever get into QF colours, quite a few less then we expect at the moment I would think (787 is replace aging 767s and A330's only, not expand the fleet??? Expension to be seen at JQ only). What are the chances of an A380 or two getting into JQ colours? Almost inevitable.

Like it or not the board room is being forced change the airline game. Just thinking about things that have happened since the year 2000 with 9/11, SARS, The wars, fuel price rises just to name a few, many many other industries would have been long gone in my opinion.

I am quite excited to see what happens in the next 5 years then the next decade to aviation in Australia.

Cheers

M
Old 29th July 2008, 08:47 AM

interesting article in the HUN...anyone thinking he wasn't groomed for this position needs their head examined, so I'll ask again, is he truly the best candidate or was he the only candidate?

Quote:
Geoff Easdown

July 29, 2008 12:00am

A NUMBER of top Qantas executives could resign following yesterday's appointment of Jetstar chief Alan Joyce to succeed Geoff Dixon as managing director.

Mr Joyce, 42, who has led Jetstar since the discount carrier launched in 2003, was described by company chairman Leigh Clifford as the best possible candidate to lead the airline

He said Mr Joyce had a breadth of experience, having worked for Irish carrier Aer Lingus, Ansett and in various Qantas posts.

Dublin-born Mr Joyce, now an Australian citizen, steps over two more-senior executives, Peter Gregg, 53, and John Borghetti, 52.

Both had been ranked equal internal favourites to succeed Mr Dixon.

Mr Gregg, a Queenslander, is chief financial officer of Qantas, and has been an executive director since 2000.

He has overseen the accounts through one of the most difficult periods in aviation history, where Qantas continued to report profits despite the drop in international travel that followed the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the SARS outbreak and the Gulf War.

Mr Borghetti, the son of an Italian family from Melbourne, has risen from the mail room to executive general manager where he has had charge of the rebranding of Qantas as Australia's business airline.

Whether they stay on is uncertain. Friends of both say they have been told they intend to remain -- at least for the present.

BusinessDaily is aware Mr Clifford was warned several months ago by Mr Dixon to expect senior executive departures no matter who got the job.

Yesterday, Mr Joyce was reluctant to talk about his relations with senior managers, saying only that "everybody's going to be doing their job as normal and that will continue.

"Now's not the time for that," he said, seeking to dismiss the question.

Mr Joyce pledged he would continue the company's two-brand - Qantas-Jetstar - strategy, noting he would seek to run the business in the same way it was led during Mr Dixon's eight-year reign at the top.

Pressed about where Qantas might head in the future, he suggested that its future success might be through consolidation via a merger with another carrier, along the lines of Air France and KLM.

Mr Dixon also put forward the same argument yesterday, arguing Qantas would "somewhere or another consolidate with some other airline sometime in the future".

Mr Joyce said if the high price of fuel continued, a lot of airlines could not stand alone.

"I think Qantas will keep an eye out for opportunities and see if that can occur in the future."

Mr Joyce has notched an impressive record at Jetstar, taking the business from just 14 aircraft to a business that rivals Virgin Blue.

The low-cost formula has seen Jetstar planes replace Qantas on routes that are not profitable for the full-service parent brand.

Jetstar has been profitable since launching, making a significant contribution to the Qantas group result.

Mr Joyce was considered a likely appointment by Qantas insiders. Mr Dixon has regularly referred to him in fond terms as "my little Irishman".

Alan Joyce might be short in stature but walks tall in airline circles, evidenced by the fact he will be a key speaker at this week's National Airline Summit in Sydney, which has drawn airline chiefs from around the world.

He came to Qantas in 2000 from Ansett Airlines where he had impressed then chief executive Rod Eddington, later to head up British Airways..

As Ansett's fortunes dived, Sir Rod recommended Mr Joyce to Geoff Dixon.

Mr Joyce comes from a large working class family. His father was a chimney sweep and his mother took in washing.

He graduated from Trinity College, Dublin, with degrees in science, physics and mathematics and a masters in science management.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 30th July 2008, 12:19 AM

Interesting that GD has for the last 'x' number of years relied heavily on the expertise of Borghetti and Gregg to get the QF brand and financials recognised worldwide as having been one of the most consistently profitable carriers yet then supports his "little Irishman" as his successor.

With numerous changes to the QF Board, a board with little or no aviation experience, GD, rightly so, clearly had a fair say in his successor. To then annoit AJ as the heir apparent is a serious slap in the face of JB and PG, the men whose stewardship consistently made him look even better than perhaps he really was.

Their positions are now seriously in question (perhaps untenable?) as are the next level of management underneath as the new CEO will, as is his right, make significant changes to the senior executive team. He will be wisely counseled to ensure he does not adopt a 'crash and burn' management style that worked for him at JQ. He made few friends at QF during the JQ setup phase as QF took the brunt of the majority of the JQ setup costs.

Geoff is now considered "Judas" to many at QF for his treatment of PG and JB, with the big question is whether AJ can carry the load of a real airline or destroy it trying. I genuinely hope AJ continues his success and leads QF into the next phase of its wonderful life. Lets hope we are not witnessing (for those who remember) the dawning of the next Pan Am.
Old 30th July 2008, 12:47 AM

If I were asked the succession question 6 months ago I would not even think it was possible for Joyce to be the successor. But thinking about it now, his appointment does make sense. Afterall he did grow Jetstar (Domestic and International) to what it is today:
http://www.jetstar.com/~/media/image...o/route_map.ml

Ok, some may argue that as a new startup it was not as difficult because they had mainline's support + resources - but compare JQ to what happened with AO. Perhaps they had learnt the lessons from AO, but I am sure much of the success came down to JQ itself.

Quote:
To then annoit AJ as the heir apparent is a serious slap in the face of JB and PG, the men whose stewardship consistently made him look even better than perhaps he really was.
It can be seen as a 'serious slap' but it depends how JB and PG take it. Either way when 3 people fight for the same job, the 2 that don't get it will inevitably feel disappointed or at least in some ways bitter. If they do move on then it's a chance to bring in someone with fresh ideas.

From Montague's article:
Quote:
As Ansett's fortunes dived, Sir Rod recommended Mr Joyce to Geoff Dixon.
If Sir Rod really did in the past recommend Joyce to Dixon during the dying days of Ansett - that shows Joyce has got what it takes!

Quote:
With numerous changes to the QF Board, a board with little or no aviation experience, GD, rightly so, clearly had a fair say in his successor.
The board may have little or no aviation experience - but we can't say they lack business experience. Making the right decisions at the top from a business sense is perhaps more important than just mere aviation experience. Just because they have aviation experience does not mean they would make correct business decisions. One example was the Air New Zealand board appointment of Ralph Norris as CEO. I don't know but I don't think he would have a great deal of aviation experience having previously ran a bank. But he did turn around Air New Zealand quite well and it is still evident today.
http://about.commbank.com.au/group_d...CH2113,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Boy View Post
Interesting that GD has for the last 'x' number of years relied heavily on the expertise of Borghetti and Gregg to get the QF brand and financials recognised worldwide as having been one of the most consistently profitable carriers yet then supports his "little Irishman" as his successor.
GD has also for the past 4 or so years relied heavily on the expertise of Joyce to get the JQ from the ground up to what it is today, firstly domestic, and then international.

Last edited by D Chan; 30th July 2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 26th September 2008, 11:33 AM

Bump........Bruce Buchanan has been appointed to replace Joyce. He is the current GM of Commercial.