Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 28th July 2008, 11:03 AM

Monty - QF have made it clear it owuld be an internal appointment for a while now and it was always between those 3.

Unlike some here, I will have confidence that the QF board have appointed the right person for the job.

Also, just because he has come from JQ does not mean he is going to turn QF into JQ. Now he also must be doing something right as JQ employees tend to have better moral than QF.... lets hope he can bring that across with him.

I think the guy also has more personality than the other 2 and he has obviously shown he has more potential than them as well.

Interesting they bring out the news today - I presume it is to take the ocnversaiton of their 744 incident
Old 28th July 2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
will Gregg & Borghetti actually work with Joyce? rumours were that they refuse to work under him..I tend to agree with Daniel on this, it will be high profit routes for QF & the rest for Jetstar.
I doubt it Monty - I think both will walk, but they might not stay in the industry. I would be very surprised if they stay - they have publicly stated thier goal to become the CEO and this was their chance.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:21 AM

I think JB would have been a much better appointment imho. God forbid we will all be doing the JQ jump in the future
Old 28th July 2008, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
Unfortunately, I fear this is is the end of Qantas as we know it, and feel deeply for the QF boys and girls. With oil prices hitting the roof and carriers looking to cut costs in any way, my best guess would be that Qantas mainline is finished with, and will slowly be morphed into a mirror of JQ, if not JQ itself, with the main part of Qantas covering the high-profit international routes. Makes sense, to run the majority of your airline as low-cost, paying your staff half the rates, and squeezing more punters into the planes to pay the bills.

Just my thoughts from observations...
Agree, they will be painting the aircraft into JQ colours faster than you can say silver and orange.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:01 PM

At 42 he might be around for a while.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chisholm View Post
At 42 he might be around for a while.
True, but Gregg is only 48 and Borghetti would be mid 40's. Dixon was seen as "old" when he was appointed at 60 and yet he will retire a month short of his 69th's birthday.
Old 28th July 2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I think JB would have been a much better appointment imho.
Do you mean the Captain of QF30 ? Many are touting him as a hero but to fast-track him to the top job...?
Old 28th July 2008, 05:26 PM

Exclamation Some of us still want a 'full service' airline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Agree, they will be painting the aircraft into JQ colours faster than you can say silver and orange.
I disagree with both Marty and Daniel. There is definitely a place for a business class/economy class domestic and three class international airline. Whilst some lessons from JQ may be of use in running the economy side of the show, it would kill the premium revenue for Qantas to leave its first/business class pax disgruntled with an inferior offering. I think that's a highly unlikely scenario.

I'm not selling my tiny QF shareholding just yet!
Old 28th July 2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Terry View Post
Do you mean the Captain of QF30 ? Many are touting him as a hero but to fast-track him to the top job...?
I think he means John Borghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
I disagree with both Marty and Daniel. There is definitely a place for a business class/economy class domestic and three class international airline. Whilst some lessons from JQ may be of use in running the economy side of the show, it would kill the premium revenue for Qantas to leave its first/business class pax disgruntled with an inferior offering. I think that's a highly unlikely scenario.

I'm not selling my tiny QF shareholding just yet!
I dont think we will see anything to the like of JQ influencing QF's ops in a big way. Like Phillip, i agree that their is a place, always has been and probably always will be a placae for a more premium service airline in the domestic sector. Premium classes are where QF makes a fair amount of money, so you could say it would stay that way.

Personally, i doubt we will ever see QF turning into JQ, whether Alan Joyce the head or someone else. They are a premium airline who would like to stay that way i believe, and that was probably indicated to Alan in the lead up to his appointment by Geoff Dixon.

While no doubt some lessons of economy class runnings may be of benefit to QF, i doubt we will ever see a big consolidation. Look at UA - they created a low cost offshoot, became profitable, and they shut it down to absorb the aircraft - now UA's future is looking pretty grim. As much as UA needed Ted, i think Qantas need the premium customers just the same.

Rhys
Old 28th July 2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I think JB would have been a much better appointment imho. God forbid we will all be doing the JQ jump in the future

Just because he comes from JQ doesnt mean he will turn QF into a LCC. He has worked at full service airlines QF, AN, EI before going to JQ!

I am confidant (as Im sure the QF board are) that he will continue with their 2 carrier strategy. JQ have been growing and QF have been improving their premium offerings (lounges, onboard etc). Can't see why this won't continue - albeit with a younger and possibily more energetic leader.