Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
I think he means John Borghetti

I dont think we will see anything to the like of JQ influencing QF's ops in a big way. Like Phillip, i agree that their is a place, always has been and probably always will be a placae for a more premium service airline in the domestic sector. Premium classes are where QF makes a fair amount of money, so you could say it would stay that way.

Personally, i doubt we will ever see QF turning into JQ, whether Alan Joyce the head or someone else. They are a premium airline who would like to stay that way i believe, and that was probably indicated to Alan in the lead up to his appointment by Geoff Dixon.

While no doubt some lessons of economy class runnings may be of benefit to QF, i doubt we will ever see a big consolidation. Look at UA - they created a low cost offshoot, became profitable, and they shut it down to absorb the aircraft - now UA's future is looking pretty grim. As much as UA needed Ted, i think Qantas need the premium customers just the same.

Rhys

Ahh...he was actually appointed by the Qantas board, not just GD.
Old 28th July 2008, 06:58 PM

HI All,

What about Gregg or Borghetti as Jetstar's CEO?

Stuart
Old 28th July 2008, 07:06 PM

a positive, at least Joyce owns a tie

Banjo
Old 28th July 2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Trevena View Post
HI All,

What about Gregg or Borghetti as Jetstar's CEO?

Stuart
Doubt it. Both would see that as demotion more than anything.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
Ahh...he was actually appointed by the Qantas board, not just GD.
i think you misunderstood what i said - i meant that it was probably indicated to Alan by Geoff in the lead up to his appointment as CEO by the board.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:51 PM

why not travolta?

Old 28th July 2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
i think you misunderstood what i said - i meant that it was probably indicated to Alan by Geoff in the lead up to his appointment as CEO by the board.
Righto. Perhaps structuring your sentences better, would help in the future?
Old 28th July 2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W. View Post
why not travolta?

god no...he can't even look after his autistic son!

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 28th July 2008, 09:30 PM
Prolific Member

But he will talk to your spouse if you hand your mobile phone over as soon as he arrives!
Old 28th July 2008, 09:39 PM

Default Joyce - CEO

How much speculation can we get on a subject that is typically kept behind closed doors ?

Let's have some reality here. Big companies do not appoint a CEO without a truckload of assessment, evaluation, analysis, critique and all of those again. Joyce, Borghetti and Gregg plus others from elsewhere would have had the ruler passed over them many times over the past 12-18 months at the very least. How do I know ? I've seen this happen from inside organisations for all manner of senior appointments - many of those passing critical judgement here and elsewhere would be shocked to see what happens behind the scenes.

If people think otherwise, go and take a long hard look.

Like we mere mortals when we make critical decisions, Boards and Chairpeople do not make critical decisions without a large amount of information, data, opinion and thought at hand.

So what! Joyce comes from JQ. Toomey came from within AN and look what happened there !

When Chris Anderson joined Optus, he had no experience in telecommunications and I never thought he tried to turn Optus in to NZ TV nor SMH - even though he was CEO of TV NZ and Chief Editor of SMH.

I've never done any form of financial anlaysis on QF, AO nor JQ. That said, I am certain that it would show that Dixon inherited a carcass that was riddled with inefficiencies and malpractice.

The reality - no one is to blame for that as it is in the past. As a CEO, he is confronted with the grim reality of "change or perish".

The change was/is (and remains) unpalatable to many but, let me assure you from having been close to the alternative, whilst **** and shoe polish might be similar in colour, when you have it on your face, one is more acceptable than the other.

As CEO, Dixon has needed to make a call to apply one or the other to the faces of all of QF - which one would you choose ? Through the creation of JQ, the extent to which he applied the choice was reduced and less were exposed to the pain. Does that make him a bad CEO ? To those who got the shoe polish, probably not. To the others, maybe.

Consider for yourselves - I am confronted with Toomey/AN Mk II or create JQ and suffer the berating of the QF "prima donnas".

QF has its faults, flaws and foibles. So too does every other player in the market. Each has things to negate the challenges it faces.

QF doesn't have government backing (but may have some support); doesn't have a closed market in which to operate (gee, wouldn't it be great to gain 5th freedoms for Singapore !); doesn't have unlimited access to cheap capital (despite what some seem to think) and is not immune from the pressure of global oil prices, market competitiveness and proximity to a large, regulated and relatively untapped market (Asia and/or continental Europe).

Face up - if some of the decisions that have been made in the past 3-5 years were not made, our flag carrier would more than likley be DJ or maybe even Tigger (oooops, I meant Tiger !).

I am yet to meet a CEO (and I've met a few) that would win a popularity contest. I am also yet to meet one that is happy to be "on watch" when the company goes down.

Constructive comment and feedback will guide and assist Joyce (and team) to get the balance between QF and JQ close to right. Criticism and "arm chair CEO's" will do little to move the dial in the right direction.

As an aside, where will Gregg go ? CEO of DJ or V Australia ? Not likely. CEO of JQ would be a great opportunity (even more so if the predictions of several on this board come true - he would be CEO of the bigger part of QF). Memo PG: If it gets tabled, seriously consider it. As for Borghetti - don't know much of him. Perhaps a reason for not being a winner. Memo JB: shoot for COO at either QF or JQ and see what comes from that.