Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry

Old 31st May 2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.S View Post
Intersting feedback, thanks for your replies.

For a seperate flight, another question has arisen regarding flight changes:
I have booked a Qantas red E-deal, however would like to change my booking to the next scheduled flight departing an hour later.
Am I correct in reading that changing a flight booking online will result in a $50 fee?

If so, what is stopping me from cancelling the flight, getting the flight credit from that, then using the credit to book a 'new' flight.....thus avoiding the 'change of flight' fee ?
Here are the rules for a Red E-deal. Note in particular the bit where it says if you cancel you cannot use a credit for a canceled flight for a flight on the same day!

Also if you look at the fee's you will see it does indeed cost $50 to change but no fee to cancel

Booking Changes
Changes can be made online at qantas.com/yourbooking, otherwise call 13 13 13.
Exception: For changes to combined Qantas and Jetstar bookings, and to multi-cty bookings call 13 13 13.
Changes before the day of scheduled departure:
Your original fare may be used as credit towards a new fare of equal or higher value, provided the new fare conditions are met.
For changes made over the phone, you must pay the service fee applicable as at the date of change.
At the time of making the change you must pay:
the change fee applicable as at the date of the change
any fare difference between the fare for your new booking and the original fare.
Once your booking is made the current change fee and service fee can be viewed anytime at qantas.com/your booking
Your new booking must be for travel anywhere on the Qantas network within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued. However, you cannot re-book and travel on the same day.

Changes on the day of scheduled departure:
Not permitted. Loss of fare.
Name Changes Not permitted
Cancellations (including no show) Before the day of scheduled departure:

Re-booking - see 'Booking Changes' above.
Ticket value can be used towards a new booking for travel anywhere on the Qantas network within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued. However, you cannot re-book and travel on the same day.
Any credit is the Australian dollar price
No refund.
On the day of scheduled departure:
Not permitted. Loss of fare.

Last edited by Ash W; 31st May 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 31st May 2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Here are the rules for a Red E-deal. Note in particular the bit where it says if you cancel you cannot use a credit for a canceled flight for a flight on the same day!

Also if you look at the fee's you will see it does indeed cost $50 to change but no fee to cancel.
Thanks for this.
Seems a bit harsh on Qantas' behalf, although somewhat understandable.

So am I correct in thinking that I can cancel, receive credit to be used in 12months, then make a new booking for the same day (paying in full this time, not using the credit just gained)?
Old 1st June 2010, 02:07 AM

Nothing unusual or harsh in their rules. Consider yourself lucky Qantas allows cancellation, many airlines don't allow that.

And yes I read it the same that you can cancel anytime before the day before and receive a credit which can be used on any day other than the day of the flight you canceled.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.S View Post
So am I correct in thinking that I can cancel, receive credit to be used in 12months, then make a new booking for the same day (paying in full this time, not using the credit just gained)?
Yes, you can cancel your original booking and do a new booking for the same day. You will receive a credit equal to the value of the original booking which is valid for 12 months and the cancellation/flight change fee of $50 will be deducted when you use the credit in the future.

None
Old 1st June 2010, 09:44 PM

Ricky if you click on the T&C for the red e-deal and then click on the change fee link you will get a full list of appliciable charges.

Note that the fee's for changes and cancellation differ. The fee's for red e-deal are:

Changes
Before day of departure: Any fare difference plus: A$50.00
On day of departure : Lose fare

Cancellation
Before day of departure: Keep value (T&C states in credit not refund)
On day of departure : Lose fare

There may be other fee's based on how the booking and changes were made again covered by the T&C for the fare type.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:43 AM

I have booked 2 flights for the same day, only need to be on one of them however.
Will cancel one closer to the departure date in the understanding(hope) that I will receive flight credit of the amount I paid for the ticket and not be punished any fees.
Seemed like the better option instead of changing the original flight and paying a fee to do so.
Time will tell how it all plays out.